31. Resolving Issues

Dexter's POV

I thought things were slowly falling back to normal. But those ear shattering screams that came from my mom's room pulled me back to reality. The war is not over yet and there is so much more to come. It was wrong on our part to relax when something ten times worse is yet to come. I have no clue as to how I should be protecting my own family and the entire vampire community from the evil eye of the hunters. It is my responsibility to do everything in my power to establish peace and harmony among my people. Even though my decision to become the King was based more on my father's ill-treatment by Julian than my heart's desire, I cannot ignore the expectations my people have on me. 

"You are overthinking and I am pregnant. Ever thought of my hormones?" Dylan said as she began to search through the fifth book.

She has been busy trying to find the right name for our baby girl. She is so full and complete, the baby might be out sooner than expected. As parents, we want to welcome our second child with the most unique and fascinating name that will be remembered by the people to come. I just can't wait to have a girl. I had been surrounded by boys my entire existence. I never had a chance to see how a girl grows up. Ella stayed else where when she was a child and I had no girl friends at all. Lucifer had been the charmer since the beginning.

"I know. I was just worried about mother"

"Liar...liar..pants on fire" She said without lifting her head from the book.

I was worried for mother but not as much as the other stuff running in my head. When we reached mother's room, she was surrounded by scattered furniture and her dress was stained with oil. When we asked her what happened, she said someone attacked her in the dark and spilled some gruesome liquid over her. They had threatened to destroy her race. She was terrified and looked more weak than she usually does. I relocated her to the chambers closer to security department, so that they would be able to come help her more quickly.  By going by the hunter's previous track record, they do not attack the same person consecutively. 

Still, why take chances?

"What do you think I'm thinking about then?" I asked.

"The same. I am the 'Mighty' King. I have to save my race but I don't know what to do." She rolled her eyes, "Chillax, husband. Let your wife handle some shit too!"

I chuckled, "I saw how my wife handles shit yesterday"

"What do you mean?"

"I mean..." I tried to control my laughter, "the woman who was screaming 'we must place bombs under the hunters' seats. They must be dumped into the Bermuda triangle'"

She punched my arm, "Will you shut up? That was my hormones screaming!"

"That is you handling shit!" I laughed, "Dylan, Bermuda triangle?"

"Okay, I'm leaving" She threw the book aside and moved to get up swiftly and winced. 

I was quick to support her back. It had happened during the first pregnancy too. As the period of pregnancy went on, Dylan started experiencing sudden back muscle and leg muscle spasms. The pain wouldn't stop until she takes suitable drugs or has more dose of blood than usual. This time, her legs started to swell too. I didn't know it was normal or not. But according to the doctor, it is common in vampire pregnancies especially if the baby is healthy and heavy. The only thing stopping my wife from screaming on top of her lungs because of the pain was that this pain means our baby is healthy.

My baby girl is healthy.

"Be careful! Lie down" I helped her lean back and adjusted the pillow to give a proper base to her head. She sighed sharply when her back hit the soft mattress. I wondered how these women pushed out an entire living being out of their body. How do they manage to be so patient and yet so fierce?