40. Inevitable

Dylan's POV

"Where's my son?" I muttered irritatedly.

I was so busy with the wedding decorations and sending the sudden invitations that Delan again escaped from under my nose. I cannot have him roam around the place unguarded. He is a child and an easy target. When we knew that the wedding is only a trick to lure the hunters when we are fully prepared, we cannot take chances with the security of our loved ones. As soon as I heard the news about Sasha's secret mission with Evelyn, I cannot trust anyone anymore. It is still so much for Sasha to handle. She must face her own father in battle. But we tried to get it into her smart head that he never treated her like his own blood. There is no point dwelling on guilt and pain. He needs to be gone and we will see to it. I just wish we keep most of the people safe. War wants bloodshed. We cannot protect all of them.

"Delan!" I called out to my naughty and irresponsible son.

I handed over the notepad to the guard near the door, asking him to send invitations to the listed people as soon as possible. 

"Delan!" I wiped the sweat off of my forehead. 

As I was taking the turn towards the kitchen, I heard his voice from the guest room.

"But she is angry. You said sorry?" My son asked softly.

"I don't think my sorry matters" My father answered sadly.

"Mom says we should be forgiving because everyone makes mistakes. Otherwise, how will we learn to run again after falling?"

Mr. Samuels laughed, "I am taking lessons from my grandson!"

Delan giggled, "Yes, you are! Uncle Lucifer told you don't like Daddy. Why? Daddy is good!" My son defended his father

He did not answer the question immediately. I moved a little closer to peep inside the room. The door was partially open so it shouldn't be hard. As I looked in, I noticed that my father was lost in thought. He looked at the tiled floor while my son sat on his lap, eagerly waiting for the old man to answer the question.

"I think I am jealous of your father"

I frowned. I did not expect that answer.

"Why?" My son almost screamed.

"I loved your mother, Delan. But I never showed it to her. And then her prince charming comes and takes her away. I did not get a chance to convey my feelings to my daughter. He became the reason for her smiles. I never got the chance to see her be genuinely happy with me. And sadly, I have no one else to blame but me. The more I look at your father, the more guilty I feel. I feel inadequate and out of place"

"Daddy is good" Delan repeated. I bet my son did not understand half of what the old man said.

"Yes, he is. I'm glad he was there for her when I wasn't. And you are the symbol of their love. I'm glad she found this love in her life. Just that...I feel bad I never gave her a reason to appreciate me as a father. I want her to see me for who I really am and not what I had become after your grandmother left"

"What did you become?" My curious son asked with enthusiasm.

My father chuckled, "An asshole"

A small, involuntary smile spread across my face. Finally, the man is accepting facts. And that is when I felt I need to make peace with my past. For all I know, he or I or both us might be dead tonight. What is the point of holding on to ego and bitterness when we have hours left to live? Why would I want to take this weird feeling in the gut to heaven? I was the one who taught my son to be forgiving. My dear boy even remembers what I told him. As a mother, I must follow first and then preach.