Perspective

Jonathan

"Pass the ball... we're not on ice" Patrick yells at me as I dribble the ball between my legs for a long time just to piss him off.

We were hanging out in Payton's apartment with the Sharps just messing around. Patrick and I was playing two on two against Payton and Sharpy played together while Abby watched from the side. She was the ref for a little but we quickly realized there was no rules here.

"If you were a bit taller than maybe you could catch the passes I give to you" I tease.

"If your shot wasn't so bad I wouldn't keep asking for you to pass the ball in the first place" he chirps back.

"You guys know you're on the same team... right" Sharpy asks.

"That was the first mistake I made" I mumble.

"What was the second" Payton wonders.

"That I continued to play as his partner" I admit and she giggles.

"Alright, I think we're done here" she says taking the ball from me and putting it on the rack. I grab a towel and wipe myself off before crashing on the nearest couch. There was like ten of them in here but this one will do.

We all break away and wait for the food to finish cooking before eating. Us guys kind of turned her apartment into a hang out, it's not our fault she has the coolest place out of all of us.

"What's this" Patrick randomly asks. I look around and he was nowhere to be found.

"Where are you" I ask.

"Up here" he says. I look up and see him in the loft area staring at a picture. I go up there and study the picture along side him.

"I'm not really sure" I admit. I've been over a few times and I've seen it but I never asked. Of course Patrick would be the one to ask.

"It's a collage" a sweet voice says. Payton appears next to me with Sharpy and his wife beside him.

"Did you take all of these" Sharpy asks looking closer.

"Yeah, I started taking them in high school then when I graduated from college I made this" she explains.

"Is this you chugging beer while standing on a horse" Patrick asks pointing at a picture.

"Oh yeah. I told you... I like to have fun" she shrugs.

"Woah, you were bad ass too. Is that you doing a back flip" Abby asks.

"Yeah, I was a cheerleader from he time I was five to when I was a senior in college" she smiles.

"You're like the worlds most interesting person" Patrick claims.

"I wouldn't say that, you just don't know me yet" she laughs.

"Enlighten me" he smirks and I turn to him.

"How long did it take you to make this" Sharpy says clearly over the argument that was about to happen.

"The pictures are from 8 years of my life, and the collage took 3 months" she explains.

"What is it" I ask.

"It's the skyline" she claims and I turn to her.

"Are you sure" I ask and she laughs.

"Yes... follow me" she says before turning on her heel and heading downstairs. We all follow her to almost directly under the stairs and stops. "Look up" she instructs.

I look up and let out a gasp as it all comes into to focus. There was a skyline and a sunset behind it all made out of various pictures to make one big picture.

"How" I ask.

"Life is about perspective. We can stand in a bunch different places in this room but only here are things clear. That goes the same for life. If you're in a bad place it's hard to see all the reasons we should keep going. All you see is a bunch of stuff that doesn't make sense and it gets frustration because just a few feet away it is all clear. But eventually it all comes into perspective and it's so beautiful. We can't just be stuck in the same place and expect a different view, we need to branch out and maybe find something we didn't know we were looking for" she claims staring at me. I stare back as she waits to see my reaction.

"I think this view is perfect" I smile and she starts to blush.

"I think I'm going to be sick" Patrick claims and I roll my eyes. I need to get him a girlfriend so he can leave me and mine alone.

Everyone ends up leaving a little while later but I stay back to hang out with Payton. We don't get a lot of alone time so I was going to make sure I would find some.

"I'm still thinking about what you said earlier" I admit as we chill on her couch. It's taken us no time to get comfortable with each other so we usually just cuddle on the couch and watch something on tv. As of right now she was facing me with her legs in my lap as we smacked on popcorn and whatever else that was at our disposal.

"About what" she wonders.

"Perspective. I think what you said has a heavy meaning" I admit.

"Everything has meaning. Every story has a lesson. Every lesson is meant to be learned. It's amazing how much the world has to teach us if we just listen" she claims.

"What is the world telling you" I ask.

"That everything is going to be okay" she insists.

"How do you know that" I ask.

"I don't, I know nothing. But I know that whatever happens to me, I'm going to be okay. I know there's things I can't control, human error is one of the few things promised in life and I can't let it get the best of me. If I get caught up in things that I can't control that's when I lose control. I can't let these things change me, hurt me. If I let it change me then I lose this game and I hate losing" she claims.

"What happened that made you like this" I wonder.

"I'd rather not say..." she trails of.

"That's okay, you don't have to say anything you don't want to" I assure her as I rub her leg.

"Thank you" she replies quietly.

"So that collage..." I say trying to change subjects.

"That collage is a collection of memories and moments that got me to where I am to day. If a single one of those pictures were to change, my life would be altered. So it's a reminder that even if the past isn't what you want it to be you can make the future a better one. Each day we get a chance to do something amazing, something worth remembering. That's why I take a picture every day, I always have. If for not the girl I was yesterday I would never become the girl I will be tomorrow. That collage is everything I was, the good and the bad. The ups and the downs. It's all there. Because I can throw away the picture and act like it didn't happen, but it doesn't change a thing. Instead I learn from each moment and wait for the next one to happen" she explains.

"You... are so incredible. I've never heard anyone talk like that. It's so refreshing to hear honestly. You should write a book" I claim.

"The stuff I'm talking about can't be taught, it must be learned for yourself. You have to feel it. These are the types of things you realize when you have nothing left. A lot of people aren't willing to go through the hardship to learn the lesson. And that's a shame because it's given me this life and I love it" she insists.

"Well I for one hope you never change. I hope the world never changes you. We don't have enough people like you" I insist.

"Because people like me don't always make it out so well. But I've always seen life for what it is and not what I want it to be. That's why it's easy for me to connect with people and open up. I understand what it takes to be happy in this world" she explains.

"You make me happy" I reply and she smiles.

"You're cute" she replied scrunching her nose and I almost pass out. That was the cutest thing ever.