Hockey is Back

Jonathan

"Where is Bailey keeping all of this" I ask as she gets yet another crib.

Payton was in charge of hosting her sisters baby shower and she held it at the school. We were going to have it at our place but she didn't want a bunch of people knowing her address. Since most of Bailey's friends were from work we just had it here.

It was early January and she was due sometime next month. It was a baby girl and Patrick was actually so excited. He wanted to be home so bad and luckily for him, he could be.

Yesterday I got a call that there was a deal made and we could start practices at the end of this week. This also means that Patrick has to get home ASAP so we can get going again. He spent the better part of yesterday packing and today flying. He was supposed to come in as a surprise for Bailey and I hope he makes it in time.

We get to opening presents and I keep my eye one the door. Patrick got here a little while ago but he had to get a bag for his gift he brought from Switzerland.

Finally the doors open and I see a bunch of blonde curls spilling out of a hat. Patrick sends me a wink and I smile big. He goes up behind Bailey and places his hands on her eyes.

"Payton is that you" she laughs.

"Nope" Payton calls from the gift table, her smile matching mine.

"Then who is this" she asks.

"I'm a lot cuter than Payton" Patrick claims and she rolls her eyes.

"Oh my god" Bailey whispers as she removes the hands form her eyes. She turns around and sees Patrick smiling down at her and the tears were instant. She jumps out of her seat and into his arms the best she could. She was due pretty soon and it looked like she could give birth any day.

"What are you doing here" she sniffles.

"I couldn't miss the baby shower! Look at you... you look incredible" he smiles.

"Are you here to stay" she asks.

"Jon called yesterday saying the lockout was over and I was on the first plane back" he smiles. She hugs him again and I smile big.

"Is that Patrick Kane" Jacob asks finally connecting the dots.

"Yeah buddy, that's Patrick Kane" I assure him.

"Woah" he gasps.

"Who is that" Caroline asks as she sits in my lap. She has to have someone holding her at almost every second and I don't mind, she was great to hold.

"That would be my best friend" I tell her.

"I thought Payton was your best friend" she asks.

"She's more than that" I smile and the little girl nods.

Eventually Patrick comes over smiling big and looks at the kids.

"I thought I was the one having a kid" he teases.

"I always have to one up you... you know that" I joke.

"Who is this" he asks bending down in front of Jacob as he gasps up to him.

"This is Jackson and he is six years old. He's already becoming quite the hockey player so watch it. And this little cutie pie is Caroline" I smile. She wraps her small arms around me and I hold her close. She usually isn't shy but it was close to her nap time.

"Well it's nice to meet you guys. I trust Jon has been good to you" he smirks.

"Jon and Payton are the best parents ever. Well so is William and Clara" Jacob claims.

"That's good to hear" he smiles.

The kids run off to play the baby shower games Payton has organized and I catch up with Patrick. Last time I saw him he was thinking about playing in Switzerland and then he was a father and now he's here.

"A little girl... how are you going to do that" I ask.

"You did it... can't be that hard" he claims.

"Funny because I have never changed a diaper in my life, I've gotten at least six hours of sleep every night since we had the kids, and my girlfriends parents don't hate me so I think my situation is quite different than yours" I assure him.

"Yeah... I should probably try to work things out with them huh" he chuckles.

"If it makes you feel any better David brought one of your Barbie dolls you used to play with to Thanksgiving and she almost got her ass beat twice so you can't do worse than that" I laugh.

"Oh god... now I'm a man whore who gets girls pregnant and leaves" he groans.

"At least you're cute" I joke and he smacks my arm.

"Not everyone can be Mr. Everything like you" he smirks.

"I'm not Mr. Everything" I defend.

"You have a perfect girlfriend, a bunch of really great friends who look up to you, you're basically a Canadian god, you've adopted two kids who, from what I can tell, love the hell out of being with you, and you're about to lead your team to another Stanley cup" he finishes with a smirk.

"God I hope so, it's been a long few month and I hope to god these guys come in willing to work" I sigh.

"If they don't you'll whip their ass in shape anyway" he laughs.

"That's true" I admit.

We talk for a little more before he goes to be with Bailey and I join my people. I pick Jacob up and place him on my hip so he can see all the treats and pick one. He grabs a brownie and makes quite the mess but it was cute so I didn't care much.

"What did you get" Payton asks.

"A brownie" the boy cheers.

"Sweets before dinner? That doesn't sound right" she teases.

"Jonny said I could" he says and I gasp.

"Geez bud, just throw me under the bus why don't you" I laugh.

"Sorry, it's a really good brownie" he defends. I set him down and he joins his sister in playing games.

"So today went well" Payton claims.

"Thanks to you" I smile before kissing her lips.

"It's getting better" she teases. I kiss her again and I feel her smile.

"So what's the plan for the rest of the day" I ask resting my hands on her waist.

"We're gonna clean this place up and the kids are going to spend the night with my brother and his wife" she explains.

"Oh really" I smirk.

"Mhmm" she mumbles.

"So its just going to be you and me" I mumble.

"What are you hinting at Toews" she laughs.

"I can show you better than I can tell you" I claim pulling her body against mine. She lets out a beautiful giggle and for the first time since the lock out started I finally felt at ease.