Merry Little Christmas

Jonathan

"Alright Buddy, now take it slow. One skate in front of the other" I encourage as I skate slowly backwards. Jacobs keeps his small mitt covered hands in mine as I skate in front of him.

We made it up to Canada safe and sound two days before Christmas. We would stay up here until the New Year then will fly home but that gave me a few days to be home sweet home.

After we got settled in yesterday we watched a bunch of Christmas movies and played in the snow. I was pretty jealous of how good Payton's snowman was but I could never tell her that.

And today was Christmas Eve so we let the kids open one present. I gave them ice skates for Christmas and they were so ecstatic. My dad still had the rink up in the back and I took the kids out for a spin. Just like the good old times there was some divots and missing ice but it was nothing but the best memories. It all came back, how my dad taught me how to skate just like I am with Jacob here today. It was in the family and now I have one of my own to call mine.

"Slowly now. One skate in front of the other" I repeat as they shuffle onto the ice.

"I think I'm doing it" he yells and I smile. He was so excited, I couldn't help but be happy.

"You're doing great" I assure him. "I'm going to let go now, okay" I ask.

"Okay, but don't let me fall" he begs looking into my eyes. I nod assuring him I had him before breaking off. He continues to stumble forward before regaining balance. He waddled down the ice and I watch like the happy dad I was.

"I'm doing it" he yells again.

I felt super proud until I remembered I didn't teach him how to stop and he flies into a pile of snow. I run over and pick him before brushing him off.

"Okay, the next lesson is stopping" I laugh wiping him up.

I get him cleaned up and he takes off again. He skates over to Payton and his sister and crashed into Payton's legs.

"Guess what? Jonny taught me how to skate all by myself" he cheers warming my heart.

"Good job buddy. I'm so proud of you" Payton claims cupping his chin. He skates back to me and I stop him before he gets ent flying again.

"Okay big man, don't get yourself hurt" I warn.

"This is the coolest thing ever. Did you skate out here a lot as a kid" he wonders.

"Every chance I had. From sunrise to sunset I was out here taking shots and doing drills" I remember.

"Can we get a rink back in Chicago" he asks and I laugh.

"I'm not sure we can find one like this but I think we can get you on the ice" I admit and he lights up.

"Awesome" he smiles.

Eventually it gets really cold and Caroline's face started matching the color of her hair meaning we should probably go in.

We get inside and my parents had four cups of hot chocolate set out. We each take a cup and sit at the fire place.

"Did you guys have fun out there" my mom asks.

"The most fun" Caroline claims. This is the most talkative she's been since we met her. Maybe she was a Canadian kid at heart.

"That's good to hear" my mom smiles.

"So little man, ready to start getting into hockey" my dad asks Jacob.

"Boy am I! I had so much fun out there, I can't wait to skate again" he claims.

"You sound just like my son when he was your age" my dad claims and I smile. I'm honored really.

After downing a cup of hot chocolate it was bed time. We put the kids in my brothers old room and I meet Payton in mine. We change and brush our teeth before jumping in bed. I look through the pictures Payton had taken with her camera as we wait to fall asleep.

"You think Jacob is going to be a hockey player" Payton asks.

"I'm not sure. I mean he wants to be but I don't know where to start" I admit.

"Ask your dad, he obviously knows what to do and how to do it right" she says.

"What does that mean" I ask.

"That he raised a great player and a great boy and he could probably do it again" she explains.

"I love you so much" I smile.

"I love you too" she replies with a soft kiss.

Christmas morning we wake up bright and early. We head out to the living room to see my dad was already out on the ice with my brother and Jacob and my mom was in the living room with Caroline.

"Oh wow, baby you look beautiful" Payton says as Caroline runs into her arms. My mom gave her pigtail braids that makes your heart flutter.

"You do too" the little girl replies.

Payton had on a tan long sleeved shirt with a burgundy skirt and black leggings. She did look extra cute today which was making it harder for me to keep my hands to myself.

"Good morning guys, how did you sleep" my mom asks.

"We slept great, thank you" Payton smiles and my mom smiles back. She pulls her into a hug and I felt like this day couldn't get any better.

"Jonny! Jonny! Guess what" Jacob asks as he comes flying in the door. His nose bright red and he was covered in layers of clothes.

"What is it buddy" I ask.

"I scored a goal! A real goal" he bounces and now I'm convinced this day can't get any better.

"Great job buddy!"

We sit down for breakfast and get ready to open presents. Payton got Caroline a little car she can ride around in and I realized how spoiled these kids were gonna be. My grandpa got Jacob a bunch of hockey things and I got him some stuff for his room back home.

I place a medium sized bag in Payton's lap and she looks up to me.

"Merry Christmas" I smile and she looks at me weird.

"What is it" she asks.

"Well you have to open it silly" I encourage her.

She opens it and sees a poorly wrapped box and laughs. She takes off the wrapping paper and lets out a small gasp.

"How did you know I needed a new camera" she asks ever so sweetly.

"I hear you cuss under your breath when the other one stops working. And although it's super cute when you do that, I think this one is going to work better. I even got it personalized" I tell her. She takes the camera out of the box and sees that right above the place she puts her eye it says "always keep your eyes and your heart open".

"Jonathan... this is so great. Thank you" she says getting off the couch to hug me.

"Of course baby, I love you" I remind her.

"I love you too" she mumbles in my ear.