Can You Feel The Love Tonight?

Jonathan

It's late in the long summer day and Payton and I are chilling in the great invention called central air conditioning. We sit on the couch eating popcorn and watching a Disney movie. She might have lost her memory but not her love does Disney, that's for sure.

In a way nothing has changed, if she would have remembered everything that happened we would still be sitting on this couch eating popcorn until one of us decide to do something.

Payton has started to remember some small things. She remembers some of our time together and working at the United Center but not enough to actually make a difference. But I feel like we're getting close. It's been almost two months since the accident and if something doesn't happen soon the doctors are afraid that part of her brain will become permanently damaged and that part of her would be lost forever.

We sit in her spacious apartment and watch the Lion King, we've watched it at least twenty times but 17 of them she doesn't remember. But it's always been her favorite movie. Her favorite part was about to come up and I knew what happens next.

"I can see what's happening" she starts.

"What" I ask.

"And they don't have a clue" she continues.

"Who" I play along. She smiles at me as she continues to sing along.

"They'll fall in love and here's the bottom lime, our trios down to two" she sings.

"Oh" I gasp and she giggles.

"The sweet caress of twilight, there's magic everywhere" she says softly.

"And with all this romantic atmosphere, disasters in the air" I finish.

I stand in front of her and hold my hand out for her to take. She slips her small hand in mine and I pull her off the couch. I softly grab her hips and pull her into me. She rests her hands on my chest as I press our bodies against each other. We begin to dance as I feel her hips sway in my hands. I move a pice of hair from her face as she smiles up to me.

"Can you feel the love tonight?
The peace the evening brings
The world, for once, in perfect harmony
With all its living things.

So many things to tell her
But how to make her see
The truth about my past? Impossible!
She'd turn away from me."

"Did we use to do this a lot" she asks.

"Not really. We dance at events or party's we go to. But at home by ourselves like this, only once before" I explain.

"I think I remember, but that picture wasn't there" she says pointing to it with her head.

"That's right. We did this the day I gave you that picture. There was still a white blanket over it when we were dancing" I smile.

"Then I do remember that. That was a great moment" she admits.

"What do you remember" I ask.

"I remember you were in a suit and I was in my PJs because you wouldn't let me change" she giggles.

"You still looked amazing" I assure her.

"I remember just staying in your arms feeling so free and happy" she adds on. "But that's it" she admits.

"He's holding back, he's hiding
But what, I can't decide
Why won't he be the king I know he is
The king I see inside."

I bring my hand to her face and she leans into my touch. She usually jumps back when I try to show affection but she was finally opening up. Maybe she remembers what it used to be like, how close we used to be.

Her eyes search my face before landing on mine. Her long eyelashes slowly opening and shut. Before I can say anything she stands tall and plants her lips on mine. I was shocked at first, this is the first time she actually kissed me. She would kiss my cheek and forehead, but this was a real kiss. It was deep and hard and everything I needed.

"Can you feel the love tonight?
The peace the evening brings
The world, for once, in perfect harmony
With all its living things.

Can you feel the love tonight?
You needn't look too far
Stealing through the nights uncertainties
Love is where they are."

She opens her eyes abruptly and backs away.

"I'm sorry... I thought you wanted to" I start.

"I remember" she whispers.

"What" I ask.

"I remember" she repeats.

"Remember what " I ask again.

"Everything" she replies softly and I smile.

"How" I ask.

"Sometimes the brain needs a spark, something that can trigger parts of the brain that we have no control over. I guess when I kissed you it sparked my brain. It reminded me of some of the best times of my life" she explains.

"Only some" I tease.

"You suck" she laughs and I shrug.

"I guess I do" I admit.

"I can't believe I forgot us. All the great times we had and our plans for the future. I can't believe I forgot about the Patrick's and Hammer and Seabs and your parents... I fucking love your parents" she laughs.

"I'm so glad you're back. I've been going crazy without you" I admit.

"I know, and I hate that these two months you've been stuck here waiting for me" she insists.

"I would wait forever to have you back. I would do literally anything for you to remember who we are" I claim. 

"I do remember" she smiles. I wrap my arms around her and she nuzzles her face in the crook of my neck. I hold her tight as she rubs my back and I finally have her back.

"What do we do now" I ask as we break apart.

"I really really want to cry" she admits.

"I can't believe you're back" I sigh.

"I'm here. And I've missed you... so much" she smiles. I grab her face and pull her into another kiss. She wraps her arms around my back and I couldn't help but smile. Her fingers get tangled in my shirt and for the first time in two months I was living.