Seventeen Seconds

Payton

After five stressful games we find ourselves in Boston for a clinching opportunity for the boys. After a million over time games, all the players and fans and family are pretty tired.

But we've gotten closer in this here historic run, Jon's parents had been in town the whole series and have been hanging out with me and the kids. Even his brother was down for the occasion and I've gotten to hang out with him.

My parents came in and have made it to the home games. They met with Patrick's family and it seems like they're not upset anymore. Life seemed pretty good right now and I wouldn't change a thing.

I sit in Boston with Jon and his family and the kids. We found a nice little diner Jon claimed was the best one around and decide to eat there before the game. You couldn't tell there was a chance to win the worlds greatest trophy tonight. Besides the fact we were all in Blackhawks stuff of course.

I sit with Jon on one side of me and Jacob on the other. Next to him was his sister as Jon's Dad sat across from Jacob, his mom across from me, and his brother across from him. We order some pizza and wait patiently for it to come as we talk around.

"Are you working tonight" Jon asks.

"Nope! I got someone to take my spot" I smile.

"Is it a intern" he asks.

"Maybe..." I smirk. "In my defense this is the coolest thing he has EVER done. He should be thanking me" I laugh.

"Great, everyone wins" he smiles.

We start to eat and I end up talking to his mom. She asked if I was willing to come up to Canada over the summer to take some pics and of course I agreed to it. I love Andree like my own mother and Canada was amazing.

"How far along have you gotten in wedding planning" she asks.

"Not that far along but I think you understand. It's been crazy around here and we're in no hurry. We'll probably do it next year sometime. We've talked about it but nothing is set in stone" I shrug.

"No rush, just really can't wait for you to be a part of the family" she claims.

"Really" I ask.

"Yeah. You're the type of person you want to be around. They say to be the best to surround yourself with the best. Every time I'm around you I feel like I'm learning something new and that's so refreshing. I've been around for a long time and just when I feel like I know it all you open your mouth and open my eyes" she insists.

"Life isn't about how much money you make or how many records you break. Records are meant to be broken and money comes and goes. It's about how many lives you touch and how many of them will remember you once you're gone. How they will remember you. It's about the people you touch while you're here, not just what people think of you but the difference you make in peoples lives, how you make them better. We will never get enough time on this earth, and I lost someone I loved more than everybody way too soon. But I looked around at all the people who loved him too and realize that people like that never really die. A legacy isn't just a name and numbers, it's a imprint you leave for those who you have touched.

And while I love to talk, I've learned listening will get you a whole lot father in life than talking ever will. People like you have so much to teach people like me, whether it's how to be a wife or how to be a mother. Our relationships, the people we touch, that's what life is all about. And I could honestly say my life is pretty well done" I explain. By the time I was done with my little rant the table had fallen silent. All eyes were on me as I try tot to get emotional. But I couldn't help it, I was in such a good place in my life and I wanted everyone to know it was because of them.

"That is exactly what I'm talking about" Andree winks and I laugh.

"Glad someone listens" I admit.

After lunch we all head to the ice arena. By the time of puck drop TD Garden was packed to the top with gold and black. Of the past three seasons the hawks and bruins account for two of the championships so its not shock we were here. Even my sister and their baby came out in the off chance they win.

But as time runs down this game we were down by one and it looked like another game seven at the UC. People start to head to the exits to beat the traffic and I sit in my seat practically on the edge of it. I've seen this before, the miracle comeback story. And the Hawks were by and far the best team in hockey, and this was the playoffs after all. Anything can happen.

Right on cue the goal light goes off and silence falls over the arena. Jon lays a perfect pass on Bickells tape and he taps it in. Bryan's fiancé Amanda, who had been behind me the whole game, wraps her arms around me and kisses the side of my head. I turn around and it looks like she had been crying.

"Why are you crying" I yell over our little section of screaming fans.

"I don't know" she yells back and I laugh. The emotions of playoff hockey man.

We finally settle down and they drop the puck again. Our fourth line was out there battling for the puck and they send it into their zone. Their goalie lets up a big rebound and Bolland buried it behind him. In the matter of moments we went from game seven in a few days to winning the Stanley cup tonight.

"Holy crap" Jon's Dad Bryan says.

"What just happened" Jacob asks.

"I think we are gonna win the cup" I say.

There was a lot of things we were feeling in that moment. It was joy, it was confusion, it was shock, it was everything.

The seconds on the clock tick down and the Bruins pull their goalie. We can't get it into the empty net but they can't get it into ours either. Time trickles down and the puck slowly heads down the ice into no mans land. The horn goes off and the game was over. The Blackhawks were Stanley cup champions once again.

After they celebrate and hand shake and trophy skate we were allowed down there. Of course Caroline sits down on the carpet and starts playing with the snow that had accumulated and Jacob goes off to mess with Andrew Shaw because those two always seem to find themself in trouble.

I talk with my sister as we wait for the guys to give interviews. Eventually Jon comes over and he doesn't grab me but grabs my sisters free hand.

"Wait! I'm Bailey" she laughs.

"I know" he smirks.

"What's happening" she asks and I shrug. He takes her to the cup and Patrick was there waiting for it. He puts Nadine in the cup and Jon lets out a laugh. He returns to my side and wraps a arm around my waist.

"What's going on" I ask and he smirks.

"Watch" he suggests.

Patrick is handed something and he goes down on one knee. I gasps loudly as my sister nearly slips on the ice because she was so shocked. She honestly believed Patrick wasn't the marrying type and that he would never purpose, yet here we are.

"Oh my god" I whisper. I turn to ask Jon more questions but he stops me by putting his lips on mine. I forget what I was going to say because I was more focused on his lips being on mine. He grabs my face and my eyes squeeze tight.

"I love you... so much" he reminds me.

"I love you too."