Guardian Angel

Payton

"Jacob, hands inside the cart" I warn as we walk around the target looking for Christmas things. Caroline was in the little seat place and Jake was in the basket as I push them around.

Jon was at a meeting for the NHLPA and Jacob had a snow day today so I decided to get ideas for what they want for Christmas and let them pick something out for Jon. I had his gift already so I wasn't worried about it but I needed stuff for my family and his when we go up there.

"What did you guys ask Santa for Christmas" I ask.

"I wasn't sure what to ask for. I usually ask for a real family and now I have two so I feel like I shouldn't ask for any more" Jacob admits.

"It's Christmas, you can ask for it all" I assure him.

"I want a pony" Caroline claims.

"What else do you want" I ask knowing I wasn't getting her a horse.

"I want a coloring book and a princess outfit and candy and a little car and hot chocolate" she lists off. At least she knew what she wanted.

We walk through the toy isle and I make a mental note of what they pointed to. I pick out some candles and some baby clothes for Bailey. Her baby shower was next year but I wanted a head start. She was my sister and my best friend so I had to do something nice. I got William and his wife a play set for their house for the kids and other things to help them out since I kind of sprung this on them. I got David a box of condoms because I'm hilarious then got Jon to have a bunch of guys sign a jersey for him. I got Jon's parents a nice picture frame and picture of them and me and Jon at a game. I also got them really cool team canada shirts I found and some Blackhawks stuff.

We continue to walk around and look at all the Christmas stuff they help me pick things out to hang up at home.

"What's your favorite Christmas memory" Jacob asks me.

"I don't know... I have a bunch. But as a kid I always loved making snowmen with my brothers and sister. We would have a contest to see who had the best one and I was the most artistic so I always won. Christmas wasn't always easy, with your parents shoving baby Jesus down your throat, the holidays are a little more religious than relaxing but I always enjoyed it" I shrug. "What about you guys" I ask.

"I like making cookies for Santa and leaving milk" Caro claims.

"Oh that's fun. I bet we can do that when we get to Canada" I assure her and she smiles. I tap her nose and she lets out a giggle that makes me melt inside.

"What about you Jack" I ask Jacob.

"I've never gotten to have good Christmas memories. A lot of the time I was too young to remember or was taking care of Caroline" he says.

"Why don't we make our own Christmas tradition" I ask and he smiles.

"I would like that" he admits.

After spending way too much money on Christmas presents and decorations we head home. I see Jon's car in his parking spot and I smile at the thought that he was home. He had only been gone for two days but still.

We all grab a few bags and take them up to my apartment. We set them in the the doorway and I let out a sigh.

"Jonathan" the kids screaming running up to him. He bends down as they run into his arm. He stands up in front of a gigantic real looking tree and I smile big.

"Jonny... what did you do" I gasp.

"I was in my meeting and I looked outside and saw a family buying a Christmas tree. I thought of you guys and knew I wanted that with you three. So on the way home I found the realest looking fake tree ever" he explains.

"It's beautiful, I love it" I admit.

I get the ornaments out and we all put them up. Red and silver fill the tree almost complete covering it. The top was pretty bare but it still looked good.

"And here we have the Christmas angel" I announce taking her out of the box. She was mine as a kid and has been in every Christmas tree I ever had. I believed she was my guardian angel and I loved her so much.

"She's pretty" Caroline gasps.

"She's very special, and I think Jacob should put him at the top" I say and his eyes go wide.

"Why me" he asks.

"Because you very much remind me of a guardian angel. You look over your sister and even though you're just six I can tell you know why you're here.

Like a guardian angel you protect people. You help people see the light and I know you've shown me the light. I'm thankful god sent you to me. So it would mean a lot if you put it up there" I say.

"It would be a honor" he smiles.

Jon puts him on his shoulders and Jacob puts the angel at the top of the tree. Jacob gets down safely and looks up.

"Good job bubby" Caroline says giving her brother a hug, how cute?

"Alright everyone, gather around the tree" I encourage as I set up the tripod. I set the timer on the camera and run to be with them. "Everyone say "merry Christmas eh"" I say.

"Merry Christmas eh" they repeat and the flash goes off. I look at the picture and smile big. Never would I thought that by the end of this year I would have such great people by my side. It was a Christmas miracle in a sense and it was beautiful.

After making Christmas cookies and drinking more than the suggested amount of hot chocolate it was getting late. The kids had crashed on the couch so we left them there. I take the few minutes of free time to wrap the gifts I had before joining Jon in bed.

"You know how you always say everything happens for a reason" Jon asks as I lay on my back staring at the ceiling.

"Yeah" I assure him.

"I think you're right" he concludes.

"Aren't I always" I tease.

"And modest too" he laughs and I laugh along.

"What makes you say that" I wonder.

"Because I thought this lockout was a punishment. I thought that we could fix it all ourselves but we can't. But there was a reason this happened and I think I figured it out" he claims.

"Why" I ask.

"So I can see that without hockey I can still make a difference. That I'm not a nobody if I'm not playing. I can still be good at other things like being your boyfriend and a father figure to two beautiful children. I can still be a leader and be who I'm supposed to be even if it's not on ice. I don't feel empty like I though i would. In fact I've never felt this good about myself as a person. I'm still waiting for that call to tell me this mess is over, but I don't mind waiting a little bit longer" he claims.

"I'm glad to hear that" I admit.