Left Broken Hearted

Payton

"YES" I yell as Jon catches the popcorn I tossed at him in his mouth.

"We're getting too good at this" he laughs standing upright after having to move some to catch the popcorn I tossed his way.

A second later there's a knock on the door and I look over to Jonathan.

"Were you expecting someone" I ask.

"No, but I never am yet all of our friends find their way up here" he shrugs.

"Yeah, but we usually have to buzz them into the building first" I remind him.

"That's true" he remembers.

I walk over and open the door. I see my sister there and it makes sense, she has a key to this place.

She looks up to me with tears staining her face and my heart just breaks. Her hair is a mess and she had almost nothing with her.

"Oh Bailey... what happened" I ask bringing her into a hug.

"Patrick" she hiccups and I break the hug.

"I'm gonna fucking kill him" I yell walking out the open door and she stops me.

"No... it isn't his fault" she insists.

"I don't give a shit who's fault it is, you're upset and that makes me upset" I defend.

"Can I please explain first" she begs and I sigh. I see Jon motion to the couch and I take her there. We sit with her and she turns to me.

"Patrick is going to Switzerland" she says and I raise a eyebrow.

"With another girl" I ask and she shakes her head.

"He's going to play hockey until the lockout ends" she explains. I turn to Jon and he nods.

"He was talking about it but I didn't think he would do it. There's a league there a bunch of guys are playing in. He was looking at the team Seguin was on but he never said he was going. I thought those plans fell through" he explains.

"He leaves tomorrow" she sniffles.

"I'm sorry. But he's going to come back" I remind her.

"But when? That's what sucks. Is it going to be days or weeks. Months" she asks.

"That I don't know. But he'll be back" I assure her.

"I don't want him to leave. He tried to get me to come with him but I can't. I can't just leave my job and those kids for only god knows how long. But so much can happen when so much is uncertain" she sighs.

"There's two things in life: control and uncontrolled. You can't control what happens to you but you can control how you let it effect you" I try.

"So what am I supposed to do? Sit around and wait for him. I love him Pay" she says softly. She looks up in my eyes and I sigh hard.

"I know you do, I would be stupid not to realize that. I know your relationship has always been complicated and I know this isn't helping. But if you really love him you'll figure it out."

"I do love him, more than anything."

"Then you gotta fight for him. This isn't like how you helped me with Ryan. I knew I was never getting him back, but you still helped me so much. You helped me move forward even though I felt like my life was over, but it was still going. The world doesn't stop turning long enough for us to heal properly. We have to keep spinning with it" I explain.