Happily Ever After

Payton

After Halloween Jon and I looked into how to help out the kids. We knew we wouldn't be able to fully adopt them, we won't always be around and can't give them every things they need to be a normal kid so we compromised.

My oldest brother, William, will be keeping them when we can't but until that day comes they'll be with us. Like a extended sleepover.

Although my brother is a huge pain in the ass, he is such a great father figure. Him and his wife loved children but she was unable to conceive. Once I suggested them to help us raise Caroline and Jacob they were all over it. They were already screened and checked and was deemed able to adopt so they did a few weeks after Halloween. Jon and I had to go through the same thing but the agency the kids are from has no problem letting them stay with us until it was done.

So we got Jonathan's stuff out of the spare room and turned it into a place for them to stay. We put two beds in there and paint it a calming blue. Jacob asked for red and black sheets and Caro wanted pink so that's what they got. We got them some clothes and things to do and they were getting comfortable here. It was a little plain but I'm sure we'll find something to fill the space up.

"What's for lunch" I ask coming downstairs from my office. I was still taking pictures here and there so I never had a dull moment.

"Sandwiches" Jacob calls out.

"We has sandwiches yesterday" Jon whines.

"I can make the kids sandwiches and chips and I can make you whatever you want" I insist.

"Yay" the boys cheer and I roll my eyes.

I start cooking and I hear little feet on the tile floor. I look down and see Caroline staring up at me. She was extremely quiet little thing. I wouldn't say shy, she just doesn't say much.

"Hey sweet girl, you wanna help me make lunch" I ask and she nods with a smile. I pick her up and set her on the counter causing her red curls to fly. "Do you want to put the peanut butter and jelly on the bread" I ask.

"Yes please" she replies and my heart skips. God she was perfect. I help her get the peanut butter out of the can and she puts a whole bunch on her brothers sandwich because it was his favorite. She gets the jelly on there and I help her fix the plates with some vegetables and chips.

I help her off the counter and she takes a plate into Jacob before joining him with her own plate. He sits in between Jons legs on the floor and eats with his sister next to him. I fix Jon and I Mac and cheese because I'm a sucker for it and join them watching Captain America on tv.

"Thanks for lunch Ms. Payton" Jacob says picking up his and his sisters plate to dispose of.

"You don't have to thank me for everything, and Payton is fine" I assure him. He smiles up at me before taking care of the dishes he was holding. Caroline crawls up into my lap and cuddles into me.

Something I learned about her is that she's very attached and very touchy. She wasn't cared for as a baby so she clings now, I don't mind because holding her was something words cannot describe.

I look down as she curled up in a ball. Her red hair frizzy and everywhere, I guess I should learn how to do her hair. Her big green eyes looking around still getting used to this place. I rub her arm softly as she stares at Jon. He watches the tv carefully never missing a beat.

"Hey Jonny" she says softly and he looks down. He automatically smiles because she was kind of the cutest thing ever and was wearing her tutu at the time.

"Yeah Caro" he replies.

"Are you a superhero too" she asks as Captain America continues to play in the background.