Dethroned

Jonathan

Tonight was game five of the King series and we could win it at home if we can pull it out. After a easy series against the Wild and a over time game seven win against the Red Wings it seems like we've seen it all before. We've been in the playoffs every year since 2009 and it never does get any easier. And these Kings won it all last year so it wasn't a sure win, even if we were up 3-1 in the series.

I sit at home before the game after one of the best pre game naps I have ever had. I go downstairs and see two little nets and Jacob and Caroline with sticks in their hands. They both wore my jersey as the chase after the puck. Payton was standing on the couch with a turkey baster yelling into it like it's a microphone.

"Caroline carries the puck down the boards to the left wing circle. She holds the puck checking her options. The defense is starting to put pressure on her.

And there it is! Jacob strips the puck right from her tape! He dangles around the goalie... he shoots... HE SCORES" Payton yells jumping off the couch. I'm sure the people downstairs love that.

"And the crowd goes wild" Jacob yells.

"You guys look like you're having fun" I mention as I reach the bottom of the stairs.

"Jonny" Caroline yells hopping off the floor and raises her arms above her head waiting for me to pick her up. I toss her above my head and catch her before setting her on my hip. She kisses my cheek and it made me feel like I could touch the sky.

"How was your nap" Payton asks picking up the mini stick set we invested in. I think Payton and I play with it more than the kids do.

"It was a great nap, it would have been better if you were there" I say and she laughs.

"Sure" she shakes her head.

I watch the kids so she could go get ready then we switch off. I pull on my favorite suit and tie for such a night before sliding into a nice pair of black shoes. I button up my suit and spray on cologne before calling it a day.

I return downstairs and help Payton get the kids ready. They would be chilling with her brother and his husband during the game while we were working. They get their backpacks packed and everyone was finally ready to go.

I arrive early to stretch out and warm up in the workout room. Patrick eventually joins me on the bike and he strikes up a conversation.

"We have to win the cup" he says and I raise a eyebrow at him.

"And why is that" I wonder.

"Because I want to put my baby in it" he claims.

"That's a weird reason to want to win the best trophy in all of sports" I admit.

"Hey, it's my motivation" he shrugs.

"How's home life going? Like being a dad and all" I ask.

"She's almost two months now, watching her grow is insane. She smiles and laughs and looks around all time. She's perfect" he smiles.

"How are things with Bailey" I wonder.

"Good. We moved in together and things are great. Amazing even. She's been such a great partner, always understanding of my schedule and that I'm new to the whole serious relationship and father things. I told her she doesn't need to work anymore, that I'll take care of her but she won't budge. She wants to keep working because she loves the kids and I think that's really cool" he admits.

"So when are you going to grow a pair and ask her to marry you" I tease.

"Soon" he smirks.

We hop off the bikes and into the locker room. We get changed and blast music as we all do what we need to before the game. I go around and pump them up before we take the ice.

I warm up my stick handling in the corner like always and can't help but look over to by the bench. I see Payton there with the camera up to her eye. She snaps some pics of the guys before turning to me. She smiles and takes a picture of me smiling back. She has got to have a million of those these past two seasons.

Eventually the game started and it's the same gritty game we've played four times before this series. But this one goes into over time and quite frankly I was tired. I didn't need four over times and I didn't need this series to go another game. I wanted to end this here and now.

Apparently so did Coach Q because he sends me out with Kaner a few times to create something. We were doing pretty good and I was ready for some magic.

We hop the boards and join the rush with the defense. I get a good pace and it was me and Patrick and one of their guys. I stare down the goalie but I was never going to shoot the puck. No. I pass it to Patrick and he shoots it in a wide open cage.

I raise my arms above my head as he celebrates quite epically on the ice. I lay on top of him just yelling as we celebrate that we won but also that it was over.

We do the handshake line and they congratulate us in winning the series. I tell them good series then it was finally time to go home.

After a shower and interviews I rush out and see my people waiting for my. I wrap my arms around Payton and spin her around before setting her down.

"I'm so proud of you" she squeals in my ear.

"I love you so much" I claim. She kisses me long before breaking it off. I feels tug on my pants and look down to see a bright eyed girl looking up to me. Her curly red hair matching the jersey.

"Up! Up" she yells and I pick her up. She wraps her arms around me and gives me a hug making this night that much better.

"Hi Caro" I smile.

"Good job daddy" she says and I feel my heart skips.

"Thanks baby" I reply.

We ride home and put the kids down for bed. Jacob was done with school and we didn't have anywhere to be tomorrow so we let them stay with us since we already have them.

After tucking the kids in I find Payton in her office. I walk in and see she was working on a picture. It was the exact moment we knew it was over.

"Woah, that's cool" I admit.

"I think it's my new favorite one" she admits.

"Why so" I ask.

"You know how there's usually one moment where everything makes sense" she asks.

"Yeah" I shrug.

"This is it" she claims.