Recreating New Memories

Payton

"Are we going to my sisters" I ask.

"Nope" Jon replies.

"My brothers" I try.

"No" he smiles.

"We're getting food" I say a little too excitedly.

"Naw" he replies.

"We're going on a adventure" I yell.

"Kinda" he laughs.

"We're going to jump off the sears tower" I guess.

"Are you even trying" he asks.

"Even if I guessed right you won't tell me. So no, I'm not trying" I tell him.

"Keep guessing, it's really funny" he smiles.

"We're going to make pots?"

"Umm no."

"We're cuddling otters."

"I wish."

"We're taste testing wine."

"You wish" he laughs.

"I do wish" I admit.

We pull up to the park and I immediately know where we are.

"WERE GOING ICE SKATING" I yell and he lets out a deep chuckle.

"Yes... we are" he finally admits and I felt like I was going to jump out of my skin.

"Oh I've been wanting to come back. We haven't been here since... since that really nice picture you got for my birthday" I remember.

"Also one of my favorite days ever" he insists.

"Are we talking top ten... top five" I tease.

"It's up there" he laughs.

He locks the door so I couldn't get out and runs over to my side of the before unlocking the door and opening it.

"After you" he claims.

"A "wait a minute" or "sit right there" would have worked" I laugh. He grabs my hand and pulls me out the car.

"A "thank you" works too" he winks and I shake my head.

We go and get some skates and put them on. Jon has to help me tie them because I still didn't know how to so he helps me out.

"Do you remember how to work those things" he teases.

"Nope. You still won't let me fall right" I laugh.

"I got you" he assures me.

We go to the ice and I get comfortable a lot quicker this time.

"Look at you go" he smiles.

"Please don't let me go" I giggle.

"I promise, I won't let go" he replies.

We skate in circles for a little before he stops us near the center of the ice. He looks from the backdrop of the city into my eyes before smiling. His glove covered hands cup my face as snow flurries start to fall upon us. I look up and watch the little white particles fall on my face. One lands on my cheek and Jon wipes it away with his thumb. I put my hands over his and he smiles down at me.

"Do you remember when we were here, in this exact spot over a year ago" he remembers.

"I do. I was so scared I was going to fall on my ass and embarrass myself in front of you" I giggle.

"I was afraid I was going to let you fall and you were going to kill me" he laughs.

"Well I guess it was good you didn't let me fall then" I laugh.

Jon quickly presses his lips to mine and I was caught off guard at first. Eventually I relax into it and grab his hips.

"What was that for" I whisper as we break apart.

"This" he says digging in his pocket. He drops to one knee and I gasp rather loudly. I nearly knock myself over and he grabs my hand so I didn't fall. "Hey now, we've gone this far without a spill. Can you stay with me for a few more moments" he asks with a shaky voice and I nod not trusting mine.

He opens the little black box revealing a beautiful simple diamond ring. I sniffle away some tears as Jon looks from the ring up to my eyes.

"I don't know where to start, so let me go to the beginning.

I was never looking for a partner in my time here in Chicago. I would have the type of relationships that lasted a few days at least but never something longer. I didn't think I would ever be serious about someone else. I thought I was here to play hockey and that's it.

But when I met you I saw that there's so much more to life than what I knew. You... You were the embodiment of what I wanted in my life and I knew it from the moment I laid eyes on you. I can remember that day so vividly because I told myself that was the day my life was going to change forever.

And it did. Day by day I got to know you better, to understand you better, and slowly you opened my eyes. I didn't understand how my lack of control of my emotions altered my view in life. I didn't know how important perspective was for getting people to see things the way I did. I didn't want another thing on my plate that kept me up at night.

But you showed me what it meant to live life to its fullest. You showed me how to find the good in every day. You showed me what it is like to put others in front of me. And most of all you proved you were strong, that life isn't perfect but it can't keep you down for too long.

The only thing I regret from our almost two years together was that one hour of darkness. That moment where I lost control. When I pushed you away and almost lost you. I was so incredibly stupid to think of you as anything but a blessing to my life. Those words I said... I didn't mean them. I said them out of hurt and pain, two things I haven't felt in so long, since you've been in my life. You fought for us and I can't begin to explain how thankful I am to have you back.

To this date I have never heard you speak ill of anything. You have this grasp on life and how it should be lived and I am honored that you share your ideals with me. You shared everything with me even though you were still hurting and that only makes me think of you being that much stronger. What you do and who you are... it's one in a million. I see it every day in the way you're always smiling and always cracking a joke just to make me smile. It's the little things like that I'm going to remember in the end.

And so I wanted you to come back to the ice I gave you the promise ring on to give you a new ring based on a new set of promises. I promise to one day be your husband, to give you shoulder massages and make you tea before bed. I promise to never put anything before you, because in the end it's you I want to be stuck with forever. I promise to be the best gentleman I can be. To give you the stuff you want, not need. And to always treat you right, because you deserve nothing less" he says taking the ring out of the box. He holds it up as I wipe away my tears so I could see it better. "Payton Lynn Simpson, would you do me the honor of agreeing to marry me" he finally asks and that smile comes up.

"Yes" I whisper and he lets out a long breath. I take my glove off and he removed the promise ring before replacing it with the diamond engagement ring. "I don't know what to say" I admit.

"You don't have to say anything" he insists.

"Good, because I'm speechless" I nod.

"That's a first" he claims and I playfully hit his chest with the back of my hand.

"You're lucky I love you" I smirk.

"I love you too."