The Love We Make

Phil started to notice things about Dan that drove him wild. As Dan healed, his Neko behaviors began to return to him. For example,  Dan would perch on the edge of furniture. He would draw his knees up to his chin, and his long arms would come to rest at his sides - his hands crossed in front of his feet like paws. He would observe his surroundings with heightened awareness. His ears would prick up when he detected sounds so subtle that only an actual animal could hear them. Dan's tail, now strong, healthy, (and exploding with new fur), swayed behind him gracefully, providing him perfect balance.

Dan could sit this way for long periods of time, and rather contently too. Phil would go about his work and look up to see Dan perched on the arm of the sofa with large, round eyes. He would be focused on a bird or a playful squirrel. Sometimes Dan would make pawing motions into the sofa, and Phil wondered if Dan was even aware that he was doing it. Phil would have to bring a hand to cover his mouth to hide his smile. He wouldn't want to make Dan feel uncomfortable, but the truth was that Phil found Dan's natural Neko behaviors positively adorable.

Dan had spent little time around humans before age sixteen. Being raised amongst Nekos, by Nekos, Dan's true nature was much more cat-like than human. Once thrust into the human world of trade, however, Dan quickly learned that Neko behaviors were not well tolerated. Dan lost his name, his innocence, and eventually, his instincts.

He had nearly forgotten the joy of observing.

Dan's tail had lost its strength without use. It became more of a nuisance to his masters than an essential part of his being. As a result, it fell limp and betrayed him. Dan eventually stopped caring for it. He came dangerously close to being ashamed of the very thing that made him so uniquely Neko.

Because it had fallen out of use, his tail was vulnerable to injury and even infection. The group of men in the alley detected weakness and preyed upon him. His tail had been pulled and bitten at least three times.

Dan couldn't remember how he had gotten so far away from himself.

Nearly three months had passed. Dan's wounds had fully healed. He had regained physical strength, and filled out with proper nutrition.

Even his senses and natural instincts were returning to him. It was nothing less than an honor for Phil to watch Dan come to life before his very eyes. It was with great satisfaction that Phil realized that his love and care affected Dan this way.

He loved the Neko boy.

And the Neko boy loved him back.

Neither could remember a happier time in his life.

The day began as naturally as all of the others. Dan and Phil woke up together, tangled up in a mass of cozy blankets. England was in winter's grip now, and the nights and early mornings had become especially cold. Phil pulled Dan closer to his chest and stroked his back. It made him ill to think that Dan could have been sleeping on the snow-covered streets instead of in his arms, against his chest, where he belonged.

Dan responded by snuggling closer yet. He wrapped his long legs around Phil's and buried his face in the warm space between his shoulder and his neck. Phil giggled because Dan's eyelashes fluttered against the slope of his skin, tickling him. Phil rubbed his cheek on Dan's soft ear and smiled.

Phil noticed that Dan felt unusually warm. He brought a hand to Dan's forehead.

"Are you feeling poorly Kitten?"

"Not at all Daddy," Dan purred. Phil could feel Dan against his thigh. He was full and supremely rigid. Dan's hands began to roam Phil's chest. All at once, Phil realized what was happening.