Infinity Is Longer Than Forever

She may not have raised her son, but she did bring him into the world. For this, she was proud.

Dan was exceptional. He was dedicated to making life better for other Nekos. He had risen above his unfortunate circumstances.

Although she believed that he would have made a difference one way or another, it occurred to her that his having lived as an orphan shaped him.

The love and care of his husband shaped him too, but she knew nothing about that.

Giving him up certainly shaped her; she was a different person for having lived with her guilt. The truth was that she regretted giving up her Neko son every day of her life.

She hadn't been prepared to see a tail and ears. There had been no indication during her pregnancy, and no warning when the doctor had lifted the tiny infant up between her shaking knees. She knew if she held him, that she might love him despite his "deformity." So she refused him.

She had been so ignorant at twenty three, believing that her baby's feline features were an actual defect. She knew little to nothing about Nekos. In fact, she didn't even know that Nekos could only be male. She relinquished her son without ever knowing that he was indeed male.

Her husband, who had not been present for the birth, would have blamed her lines. She was newly married and terribly concerned with its viability. Raising a cat-child would surely be the end of her fledgling marriage, not to mention her reputation. It was not at all uncommon for a mother to chose adoption for her Neko baby. In fact, it was rare to find a Neko living in his family home. She would not close her self off so young. She and her husband would not try again for a child. Family and friends were told that the baby had been lost in childbirth and that she had been rendered unable to carry.

It was too late to be his mother, but it would never be too late to love him from afar by supporting his efforts.

They were on the same side.

She buckled, nearly collapsing against the old piano she opened the large, brown envelope containing the detailed proposal.

Freedom Works, a newly-developed non-profit organization, sent an elaborate proposal for partnership. If accepted, the Cornwall Home for Neko Boys would be the sole beneficiary of its monetary donations, educational resources, and personal support. Its directors, Philip M. Lester and Daniel J. Lester, had signed the documents only days after taking their tour.

She slid to the floor, the bench of the piano keeping her upright.

* * *

Phil lay happily in the oversized hammock on the private patio. He was waiting for Dan to finish his swim. The day had been full of exploration. They opted to snorkel inside the cove instead of taking a scuba excursion with a group. They spent hours discovering the tiny plants and animals living beneath the water. As suspected, Dan was wild with enthusiasm, examining every shell, stem, and nautical knob that he could scoop into his hands. Phil smiled; from where he sat, Dan looked like child.

"Phil! Look Phil! Who do you suppose left this behind?" Dan held up a tiny black conch shell with a flared end, not unlike a horn. He smiled excitedly, and his deep, brown eyes were full of wonder.

Phil nodded and grinned. This was one of the many reasons that Dan would make an exceptional father. He approached new experiences with such genuine curiosity and enthusiasm. Although Phil was content in the hammock, Dan's excitement made him want to abandon the thing and get in on the fun with his husband.