Sand Angel

"You look so beautiful in this light,
your silhouette over me.
The way it brings out the blue
in your eyes,
is the Tenerife Sea.

Should this be the last thing I see,
I want you to know that it's enough for me...
'Cause all that you are is all that I'll ever need.

I'm so in love, so in love,
so in love, so in love."

            - Ed Sheeran, Tenerife Sea

                      * * *

Phil thought that he was going to be the one to have to coax his husband outside and on to the moonlit beach. He nearly lost his nerve, suddenly preoccupied with the worry of being discovered.

It was, of course, highly unlikely. They had paid for privacy, choosing this particular villa for its seclusion. The island was said to be one of the most romantic holiday destinations in the northern hemisphere.

They had eaten a late dinner, having arrived in near darkness. They lay across the large bed, eyes hypnotized by the whir of the ceiling fan directly above it. Dan slid his left hand into Phil's right.

"Want to go sit outside?" Dan turned his head to look at Phil, who, incidentally, was already looking at him. They both smiled.

"Yeah, I kind of do." Phil rolled onto his side and rubbed Dan's belly over his clothing. He loved the way that his dinner made a soft little lump.

Phil opened the glass wall by sliding it along the track to the right. Sea air rolled into the room. Dan closed his eyes and inhaled. Phil grabbed a few personal items from his side of the bed (just in case things got heated) and joined Dan on the patio. The white canopy billowed languidly above them.

The intricate design in the brick and tile gave way to pale sand, first fine and dry, then dense and wet. Beyond that, there was only the blackness of the sea, the moonlight casting silvery streaks across its never-ending surface. The tide rolled in lazily, and no other sounds could be heard.

Dan worked at the top of the champagne bottle, which was chilly from its plunge into the icy bath of the metal basin. It had been there to greet them, a gift sent by Kate and Michael.

The card, to Misters Lester, contained well wishes and their love. Two boxes of their favorite sea shell-shaped chocolates leaned against the flower vase.

Dan poured a decent amount of champagne into each flute and laughed when Phil nearly tipped his over with excitement.

They sat in comfortable silence for the longest time, just sipping their drinks and listening to the water. Although Dan wasn't entirely ready to admit it, he had the urge to roll around in the sand.

"So." Phil mused. "Here we are."

Dan smiled at nothing in particular and stretched his long legs. "Here we are." He repeated.

"Let's go down further, into the sand?" Dan tipped his head forward, his triangular ears rotating toward the sounds of the waves.

"Sure." Phil finished the last of the amber-colored liquid and stood. They were already barefoot, wearing only shorts and t-shirts. Phil admired Dan's long, smooth legs as they walked. He was so incredibly beautiful.