"We're Having A Baby"

It was not difficult to hail a cab just after noon on a Wednesday in January. Phil held the door for Dan, who clutched his phone to his chest and kept checking it for updates. Phil arranged their black duffel in his lap and held Dan's hands on top of it.

They were having a baby.

Dan smiled so hard that his cheeks started to cramp. Phil leaned in to kiss the dimple closest to him. "How are you feeling Dan?"

Phil looked into his sparkling eyes. "Like my tummy is full of butterflies, and my heart is full of confetti Phil!" Dan giggled and gripped his husband's arm. Phil laughed. Dan was so beautiful; his joy radiated from the inside out.

"Can you believe this? We're having a baby." Dan's eyes started to glisten. He blinked, and a few tears ran from the corners. Phil smiled and nodded, wiping them away with his thumbs.

"We are." Phil kissed Dan's lips. "This is really happening. And I am so happy that I am having this baby with you." Phil's eyes burned with his own hot tears. Dan kissed his cheek and waited for the taste of salt.

"I love you Phil." Dan smiled. He couldn't wait to see him with their son. There were so many things that triggered emotion, and Dan knew that he would fall apart seeing Phil hold their baby for the first time.

"God I love you too Dan." Phil kisses his forehead and lingered against his skin. "So much." He whispered.

* * *

"Four centimeters and eighty percent effaced, minus one station." Tash withdrew her gloved hand from between Caroline's thighs and pulled the sheet across her lap. "You are doing brilliantly Sweetheart."

Caroline winced and rolled on her left side. Her contractions had picked up in both frequency and intensity since her waters had broken an hour ago.

Phil stood next to Dan in the doorway. They waited until Tash finished her examination before entering the room.

"Have you called Dan and Phil?" Tash rubbed Caroline's legs soothingly. She nodded wearily and pointed to the door on the far side of the birthing suite.

"Yes, we're here." Phil stepped into the room, Dan right beside him. "May we come in?"

"Yes please." Caroline gripped the railing of the bed. "Please come in...I need you."

Dan looked at Phil with concern. He couldn't stand to see another person or animal in distress. He was well aware of the process, yet he found himself on the verge of tears for the young girl. Phil dropped their bag in the far corner of the room and walked with Dan to Caroline's beside.

"Hey there," Dan spoke softly.
"We're here now, and we will do whatever we can to help you through this." He smiled sweetly. Caroline reached for Dan's hand.

"Thank you." She closed her eyes and exhaled deeply.

"How can we be helpful right now?" Phil crouched down beside Dan and spoke calmly and quietly.

Caroline shook her head. "Just hold my hand? Please?"

"Of course." They sat, Dan in Phil's lap, each holding one of her hands. Phil noticed that Dan slowed his own breathing to encourage Caroline to try the same. It was something that Phil used to do for Dan following a flashback. He smiled; Dan was going to be incredible.

There was no one else to call. They learned that Rosalie had been assisting another mother with the agency in the same hospital. She would be by to check on the group as soon as the other mother was delivered.

Caroline had previously given Tash permission to share her medical information and progress with Dan and Phil. She also requested that they assist her with medical decisions during the labor and delivery process should she feel unable to make a decision for herself.