"It Would Be My Absolute Pleasure"

Kate Lester loved Dan the first time that they met. She noticed his eyes first. Like actual embers of amber, they were warm and full of light, holding onto feeling and memory. But what she noticed more than anything, was the way that Dan looked at her son.

The boy was absolutely beautiful by any standards. Phil had tried to describe Dan to his mum over the phone, though Kate could see why her son struggled to find the right words. "He's an angel mum," Phil would say. Simply put, Dan was gorgeous.

It wasn't just the way that he smiled, revealing his lovely teeth and adorable dimples. It wasn't just the way in which he spoke. Nor was it the way he used his manners, bat his long lashes, or laughed from his belly (touching everyone who could hear him). It was all of these, and it was none of these things that made her soft for Dan. It was the way Phil smiled from the inside out when he wrapped his arms around Dan. It was the way that Dan listened to Phil speak and looked at her son with such love and gratitude. Kate loved the boy.

She knew quite a bit about Dan through her regular phone calls with Phil. She understood that he had been rejected by his own mother at birth, and it made her heart ache. She could not imagine such a thing and hoped that somewhere a woman searched for her son or at least regretted turning him away as she had.

Kate didn't think much about Dan being Neko. His ears and tail were precious of course, but she didn't focus on what he was or wasn't. He had a beautiful soul and an amazing outlook despite his past. It was not difficult to understand why Phil was madly in love with him.

Phil's dad, Michael, was much more reserved by comparison. He also approved of Dan, though he mostly kept to himself. He generally let his wife do the talking. Dan appreciated Michael's gentle demeanor, and he felt at ease with him immediately. Michael trusted his only son. He was content to watch Phil's life unfold naturally, never burdening his son with particular expectations.

The four had become family from day one. Dan naturally fell into the Lester family traditions. If it was possible, Dan loved Phil more just for having been born into such a loving family. Phil had already given him so much: unconditional love and friendship, respect, freedom, nurturance, encouragement, hope, and now the sense of belonging to a family.

And so it was that Kate and Michael visited often, always bearing gifts. They would bring with them a coziness that lingered for days. Kate would teach Dan how to cook Phil's favorite dishes, and Dan would confide in her. He would tell her about his years in Cornwall and about how Phil saved his life.

"Dan, have you ever thought about looking for your family?" Kate asked cautiously one afternoon.

"No," Dan replied. "I haven't." He remained focused the colorful strips of bell peppers that he had just cut to ribbons.

"If you ever decide that you would like to try, you know that Michael and I will help you." Kate smiled warmly. "Phil too, of course."

"Thank you," Dan returned the smile but felt uneasy. Dan didn't want to find his mother. She gave up on him so easily. It occurred to him that his life unfolded the way it was supposed to. Would Phil be in his life if he had gone home with his mother?

"Thank you, but I feel like I have all the family I need with you." Dan blushed, and Kate dropped the vegetable peeler to hold Dan in her arms.

"Oh Sweetheart, and we are so happy to have you." Kate was much shorter than Dan, and her words ended up in his shoulder.  She pulled back to look at him. "So happy." Dan's tail curled and his ears flickered.

Holidays were spent together, birthdays were celebrated without fail, and family dinners punctuated the year. Sometimes Kate would send Dan recipes in the post, and sometimes Dan would call Kate just to say hello.