34. IRL

Paul knocked incessantly on the door that he used to walk in and out of at all hours of the day and night. It took a bit of time, but eventually she came to the door.

"What do you want?" Phoebe asked angrily.

"We need to talk," he said, walking into the house.

"I said everything I needed to say on Instagram," she said.

"Cece broke up with me," he said quickly.

Phoebe was taken aback but tried not to show it. "Well poor you. That relationship didn't last long, did it?"

"Because of you," he said softly. "She broke up with me because she doesn't want to upset you."

Phoebe didn't say anything for a moment. Then, "Well, thanks for telling me, I guess."

"I don't understand," Paul said. "You broke up with me. Are you still in love with me?"

"No," she said. "Paul, I broke up with you because we drifted apart. We weren't right for each other."

"Then why don't you want me to be happy?" he asked.

"Of course I want you to be happy. But not so soon, not with my friend. Don't you understand that? How would you feel if I started dating Ian tomorrow?"

"I'd want you both to be happy," he said. "If he told me that he was in love with you I'd give you both my blessing."

Phoebe froze. "You're in love with her?"

Paul nodded. "Not that it matters, she doesn't want to be with me anymore."

Phoebe sat down opposite her ex-boyfriend. As much as she wanted to hate him, it hurt her to see the pain in his eyes.

"Does she love you back?" she asked him.

He looked up and met her eye. "I think so."

"Look, I'll take the post down if you want me too," she offered.

"Wouldn't make a difference," he said. "She hates the fact that she hurt you. She's never going to want to be with me because of how you feel about it."

Phoebe took a deep breath, before sighing it out.

"I'll talk to her," Phoebe said. "I wanted to hurt you guys, because you lied to me. But the truth is, the lie hurt more than anything else. I'm not in love with you Paul, and I never would have posted that caption if I knew how serious you were about her."

"Really?" he asked.

"Of course," she said. "I want you to be happy. And I've known Cece since she was like 14, I know she'd never do anything to hurt me."

"Thanks," he said. "Do you think talking to her will make a difference?"

"I do," she said. "I'd hate it if you guys couldn't be together because I was a raging bitch."

"Your words, not mine," Paul said with a smile. He stood up and they embraced for the first time since they broke up.

"I really do want you guys to be happy," she said. "Together."

"We want you to be happy too," Paul said honestly, a glimmer of hope within him.

"I'll talk to her," she promised. "I'll get you guys back together."