155. IRL

"This party, as you all know, has been thrown in honor of our girl Nina," Candice said. "I'm forcing her to make a speech today because, how could she not? Let's hear it for Neens, everyone!"

Everyone cheered as Nina made her way to the front of the room, taking the mic from Candice and holding it to her mouth.

"I'm gonna try and make it through this without crying," she smiled.

"When I got this job, I had no idea where it would take me. I had no idea that it would be so popular, or that we would become as close as we have. All the cast and crew were like family to me from day one, and I've never experienced something like that before.

"Elena Gilbert and Katherine Pierce have been a huge part of my life. Sometimes I wake up, and I feel like I'm Elena, some days it's Katherine. Some days I forget who Nina is because I'm so used to playing these characters.

"When I made the decision to leave... it was hard. Over the last 6 years, TVD has been my safety blanket. No matter what we did on our time off, I knew that I would be coming back here, to work with you guys again. I was using the show as a crutch, and I can't do that anymore. I need to do more things that scare me, I need to go out into the world and see where it takes me. TVD has been amazing to me, but I can't hide behind the characters forever.

But thank you, to every single member of the cast and crew past and present. You guys made that decision so hard for me. I can't believe that I won't be on this set working with you again. But I can't wait to see where all of you guys go from here. Try not to miss me too much!"

Everyone cheered again as she finished and wiped her eyes. She knew that this day would come, but she had no idea how hard it would be. She thought it would be like saying goodbye to co-workers. She never imagined it would feel like saying a final goodbye to family.