141. IRL

"Hello you two," Dr Griffin said, smiling her usual reassuring smile. "How are you both doing?"

"We're good, thank you," Paul said politely.

"Great," she replied. "And how's baby? Any pain or discomfort? Anything that you're worried about?"

"No, everything's been great so far," Cece said, absentmindedly running a hand over her bump. Of course, pregnancy is never a breeze. But Cece knew she had it better than most, so chose not to complain about the occasional twinge or bout of painful gas.

"Good. Now, let's see your baby," Dr Griffin said.

Cece lay down on the bed, as she had done the first time, pulled up her top, and let the doctor pour the gel on her stomach.

"Here we go," the doctor said, moving the machine around Cece's stomach until they could see the baby. "Do you see how much bigger the baby is?" she asked. They both nodded, too stunned to speak. This felt like the most surreal moment they had ever experienced – they had actually managed to create something amazing.

"Now, let's hear the heartbeat," she said. Just like the first time, within a few seconds the sound of a strong heartbeat filled the room. Cece felt overcome with emotion and Paul held her hand.

"So, here comes the important question. Do you want to find out the sex of the baby?" she asked

Paul and Cece looked at each other, before nodding.

"Yes, we do," Cece said.

"No problem," Dr Griffin said, peering closely at the screen. "You're having a..."