42: TVD

Season 4 Episode 14

"You want the cure," Willow said. It wasn't a question because she already knew the answer. Stefan nodded in response. "For Elena?"

"No," Stefan said, shaking his head. "There was a time when I wanted a human life with her. But being human myself, is something that I wanted long before I met her."

"So, why?" Willow asked. She didn't understand. As much as she loved being a witch, one of the most powerful witches at that, she would love to have the indestructability of being a vampire.

"I've seen every side of vampirism there is. In the long run, even the good parts kind of suck," he admitted.

"So, what do you want to do as a human, that you can't do as a vampire?" she asked.

"Have a normal life," he responded. "To go anywhere and do anything without worrying about whether or not a vampire or an Original vampire or a vampire hunter or an all-powerful witch-bitch is out for my blood. No offence," he said, a small smile on his lips.

"None taken," she said. "I'll tell you what, why don't I try and find you the cure?"

"What?" he asked. "Why would you do that?"

"Caroline doesn't want it, Rebekah doesn't need it, Damon only wants it because he thinks Elena wants it and I'm not sure she does. You deserve it the most." There was also an ulterior motive to this. She was starting to like Stefan – for a vampire, he was a good guy. If he was human, it meant that she didn't have to kill him. She'd promised the witches some vampire blood. Helping Elena and Jeremy kill Kol had been a start, but it wouldn't hold them off for long.

"Thanks Willow," Stefan said. "Maybe you're not the witch-bitch I thought you were," they laughed, and then she leaned in and kissed him quickly on the cheek before he even knew what was happening.

"What was that for?" he asked.

She didn't respond, standing up to leave him to his own devices.

***

"Cut!"

"I feel so sorry for Stefan," Cece said sadly. "Does he get the cure Julie?"

"I can't tell you that!" Julie said with a laugh. "You'll have to wait and see!"

"I bet he does," Paul guessed. "As Willow said, he deserves it the most."

"Because people on this show always get what they deserve?" Cece asked. "What about Alaric?"

Paul thought about it for a moment. "OK, fine. Alaric's the exception."

"I just want Stefan to be happy."

Paul wrapped his arms around his girlfriend, kissing the top of her head.

"Stefan isn't real, babe," he reminded her, making both of them laugh. Then he kissed her lips, and tried to remember the last time he'd been so happy.