72. IRL

"Ok, just a couple of things about my family..." Cece warned.

"You don't have to warn me about your family," Paul said. "If they're anything like you-"

"They're nothing like me. Believe me, Becky and I got very lucky considering the woman who raised us."

"She can't be that bad, can she?" he asked warily.

"Picture Katherine Pierce, human, in her 50s, drunk 24/7."

"Wow," Paul said.

Cece leaned her head on his shoulder as she looked out of the window at the place where she'd lived for so long.

"Just promise me that, however bad they are, you'll still love me?"

"I'll always love you."

"We'll see..." Cece trailed off.

***

As their taxi arrived at the house, the door was flung open violently and Cece's mother, Lauren, stepped outside barely dressed to throw a suitcase full of clothes into the front garden.

"Mum!" Cece shouted. "Put some clothes on!"

Lauren caught sight of her daughter and smiled.

"My baby!" she said, running forward and encasing her in a tight hug. She smelt like a concoction of different alcohols.

"It's the middle of the day," Cece said. "You couldn't wait until the evening to start drinking?"

"I'm not drunk!" she protested, before turning her attention to Paul. "Now who is this handsome man?"

"Are you being sarcastic or do you really not remember?" Cece asked, scowling.

"I'm Paul ma'am," he said. She lunged at him and pulled him into a hug. Loki growled and Cece picked him up, nuzzling her face into his neck.

"What's with the suitcase?" Cece asked.

"Your father," she said, assuming that she needed to give no other explanation.

"Right. Is dad inside?"

"Of course, where else would he be?"

Cece rolled her eyes and walked into the house, Paul following her.

"Daddy!" she called, seeing her father, Bradley, sitting in his favourite armchair in the living room. Now that Becky had moved out, the house looked empty.

"Hi Princess!" he said, equally as excited as he hugged her and stroked Loki. "You must be Paul?" They shook hands.

"It's a pleasure to meet you sir," Paul said.

"So dad," Cece lowered her voice. "What's going on with mum?"

"I'm hoping she'll sort it out for herself," he said.

"You don't think she needs to see someone? A therapist? A counsellor?" she asked.

"What good would it do?" he asked.

Cece peered out of the window and saw her mother lying on the pavement.

***

"Should I be worried about them?" Cece asked Paul in bed later that evening. The day had been eventful, full of drinks, arguments and major embarrassment on Cece's behalf.

"I don't know," Paul said. "Were they like this the last time you were here?"

"Not this bad," she said. "I mean, mum's always loved a drink, but never this much. And dad... he used to care more."

"Well, we'll keep an eye on them for the next few days and, if you think we can do something to help, we will," Paul said.

Cece kissed him. "I love you."

"I love you too."

***

It was the evening of December 31st. Becky had arrived the previous day and, along with Cece, had acted as a buffer against her parent's arguments and her mother's drinking.

Currently, while Cece, Becky, Paul and Loki saw in the New Year, Bradley had gone to bed early and Lauren was passed out on the couch.

"Do you see why I had to leave?" Becky asked.

"I can't believe you stayed for so long!" Cece commended.

"They were never this bad," Becky said, before pouring them each a glass of champagne. "But in a few minutes, it'll be a new year. And I for one, am leaving all of this shit behind me."

"Agreed," Cece said, clinking their glasses together.

The man on the TV announced that it was time to count down.

"10...9...8...7...6...5...4...3...2...1."

"Happy new year!" they all shouted at the same time, giving Loki the fright of his life.

Paul leaned over and kissed Cece.
"I love you," he whispered.

"I love you too," she whispered back.