2: Single Father's Lament

(Pierce POV unless OTHERWISE stated)

"Here Tae Tae,"

I sit Taehyung down on the staircase and gently press my hand to his forehead. It was burning hot to the touch and my little boy shivers with chills, pressing the side of his head against the cold iron handrail of the stairs. I reach behind me and take the small cup of lemon tea from the coffee shop and hand it to him. He gives a small cough before weakly reaching out his hands and taking it.

He coughs again and takes a few small sips, still in his pajamas with his fluffy brown hair sticking up all over the place in a determined bedhead.

"How was he today?" I ask my nanny Natasha and she nervously stiffens up, rubbing her arms and looking away from me as if I was going to be mad at her for my son being sick.

"He mostly stayed in bed today Mr. Grayson. I'm sure his fever will break soon since it's been two days." She reassures me and I turn my attention back to Tae, running my fingers through his sweaty brown mop of hair so he could see. He makes little sipping noises and he gulps down the warm tea to soothe his throat.

"I hope so, I'm traveling tomorrow and I was hoping to take him with me. Thank you, Natasha. have a nice night." I dismiss her and she goes to say something but decides against it. Turning away from me and walking to her bedroom.

"Daddy, I really don't feel so good," My four-year-old groans and puts his tea down before throwing up everything he just drank and I thank god for the fact I just downed four cups of coffee before coming home.

***

"Shh...Tae Tae, it's okay, you'll feel better soon." I attempt to calm my son as he throws a sick tantrum on my shoulder.

Tae has had a weak immune system since I first took him home so seeing him this sick was nothing new.

But tonight was something else and he just wasn't having it. My baby was inconsolable from the coughing fits and exhausted from not being able to sleep with the chills constantly running through his body. He was skinny enough as it is and when he's not able to hold things down I get a little bit more worried than usual.

"Shh...Please let me sleep Taehyung." 

I whisper through his screaming in my ear and gently kiss the top of his head while rocking him back and forth on my hip. I feel the caffeine in my system drop around four in the morning. I still hadn't slept and I had a nine-hour travel day with Alejandro ahead of me.

I lean against the arm of the living room couch, out of options and slowly losing my sanity.

"Arrorró mi niño, arrorró mi sol,"

I start to sing to him in one of the multiple languages I was fluent in, hoping it would help him to some degree. But he continues to scream his head off, clearly unimpressed.

"arrorró pedazo, de mi corazón."

As he starts to choke on his own tears I gently cup his head with my hand and push his head to my shoulder, holding it there so he can try to rest.

"Este niño lindo, ya quiere dormir;"

I sing and he I can hear his breathing finally start to calm down, the pitch of his screams slowly coming back to earth.

"háganle la cuna, de rosa y jazmín."

I rock him up and down while singing from the heart, circling up and down the hallway to the kitchen as he coughs.

"Arrorró mi niño, arrorró mi sol,"

Once we reach the kitchen, I grab a few wet paper towels and gently place him on the counter. Wiping the tears from his cheeks.

"arrorró pedazo, de mi corazón."

I finish singing and gently kiss his hot forehead. He sneezes like a baby mouse and I clean the mucus off his face before picking him up again and walking back to my bedroom upstairs. When I make it to the bed, I slowly slide his small body off my shoulder and to the bed, finding his eyes closed and he had finally fallen asleep. I sigh as I snuggle up with my little sickie in bed. His head on my bare chest as he curls into a little ball...just like his mother use too.

***

"Daddy?"

I wake up to hear his sweet little voice and open my eyes to see Taehyung sharing the same pillow with me. His tiny fingers travel across my face as he pokes and prods for my level of awareness.

"Hey buddy, how are you feeling?" I yawn as I reach over to feel his forehead.

"I feel a lot better than yesterday." He says with excitement and wiggles away from my hand. His fever had finally broken and I let out a small sigh of relief.

"You're an amazing singer daddy. Can you sing to me every night?" he asks as he crawls on top of my chest. His fingernails dig into my shoulders and I make a mental note to trim them later.

"Mmm daddy only sings when he's worried," I try to make up excuses.

"Daddy you should be worried, I think I'm dying," Tae giggles as he pretends to keel over on the bed and sticks his tongue out.

"Oh really?" I quickly turn over and tickle him until he burst out laughing.

"Daddy! Stop it!" He squeals as I attack my adorable son, but once he starts coughing from the laughter I just hold his small body close, squeezing him tight in my warm arms.

"I love you daddy," He sighs in his cute little voice.

"I love you too buddy." I gently kiss the top of his head.

In the back of my head, I knew I needed to get to work but I lacked the strength to move and ruin this precious moment.

He was growing so fast that I just wanted to slow down and take in every minute I have with him while he's so cute and small.

*********

I know what some of you BTS army stans are thinking...

Ry is this a fanfiction of BTS's V! The great Kim Taehyung himself!?!?

and my answer is

No.

His name is Taehyung because I asked my best friend for a name [before I even knew what BTS was back in 2017, before love yourself was even a concept] and she said Taehyung from some k-drama or something.

DO you LIKE BTS???

yEs, As A mAtTeR oF fAcT, i Do.