OBLIVION 8

{MIka POV]

"Mika?" 

A gentle shake of my shoulder surprises me as I wake up to see Peter standing over me.

"Ah, I'm sorry, I don't even remember falling asleep," I groan as I sit up and look over to see Pierce was still chilling in his catatonic state. Peter looks over his machines and sighs before turning back to me.

"You come here every single day, no matter what and stay for at least three hours if not more. Is it because you feel guilty or do you really love him?" He asks and I feel my heart drop to the pit of my stomach when he does. I look over Pierce's body, afraid he might hear me if I tell the truth. 

"At first it was mostly because of the guilt. I thought he did it because I let the boy who killed Ali off easy. But after being here and thinking about it...I realized that couldn't have been it. I don't think Pierce would leave his kids behind unless he really thought they were better off without him," I try to form an explanation and Peter sits on the edge of the bed. 

"I didn't ask you why he did it. I know why he did what he did. I asked you why you're here," he repeats and I tiredly rub my eyes.

"Well, that's just it. When the guilt lessened, I realized I was here because...well I love him," I finally admit and it hurts to confess this but Peter doesn't judge. 

"You must think I'm an insane ex-boyfriend or something but I swear I'm not...well at least I don't think I am. I just care about him a lot, like a friend," I try to take it back but Peter shakes his head.

"No, I don't think you're crazy. If you were I wouldn't have let you in here to begin with. You know, you were never the only one who felt this way," He says and I feel my brow rise in confusion.

"What do you mean?" I ask and he slowly gets up after a few sharp beeps call his attention.

"Next month my family is getting together for independence day August 15th. You should come," he says. Leaving me hanging with an air of mystery as he walks out the door. I look back at Pierce to see if my confession had changed anything, but everything stayed exactly the same.

"What secrets have you been hiding?" I ask him. 

And as always, the answer is never spoken.