57. A Single Polaroid

"But Daddy, what if thewe are scawy monsters?"

 Clara asks while clinging to my leg as I unlock the door to the crawlspace in her bedroom. Surrounded by cardboard boxes, we were going through her toys before my eyes drifted to the attic. Wondering if the old, mysterious me, had ever hidden anything in there.

"Monsters don't exist, sweetheart," I try to soothe her, gently petting her soft silky hair but she continues to hide.

"You don't have to come with me if you don't want to," I offer and she nods, sucking on her thumb as she hides behind the door. I get down on my knees and I shine the flashlight from my phone to the dark room.

"Maybe we should wait until Tae Tae gets home from school," she suggests. Clara was always in search of her protective older brother when it came to scary situations. 

"I'll be fine. Why don't you start putting your stuffed animals into the boxes," I say and she gives a small nod.

"Yes daddy, but what if I want to travel with some?" She asks as I start walking into the dark attic. It was stifling in here and I felt like if I staid for longer than a few minutes I'd probably bake myself alive.

"You can only travel with two," I call over my shoulder and crouch down. It looked empty and unused and I turn around to walk back when a small tin in the corner catches the light of my flashlight, bringing my attention with it. 

"What's this," I mutter under my breath as I get to the small rectangular tin tinted silver, and hold my phone below my chin as I pop it open. 

A leather case greets me and I sit down, picking it up and holding it in my hands. I go to open it when a few small papers flutter out along with the gentle clink of something hard hitting the tin. Inside the case is a small tablet with "Dear Taehyung," Written inside the cover. 

I faintly remember the journal and look down at the tin to find small photographs scattered. Putting down the leather case, I pick up the photos with peaked interest. They were Polaroid photos, but I don't have a Polaroid camera. A picture of Taehyung when he was about four years old tops the pile. He smiles a bright toothless grin as he dances with me in my living room. 

But who took the photo?

The next photo was of Mika, laying in my bed shirtless along with Taehyung as the two snuggled up with each other. I sit down on the floor, feeling like I was going to faint for some reason. It explained why they were so close, but it didn't explain who Mika was.

The next photo was of Mika, his smile was brighter than ever in the photo and he looked like he was laughing at something on the other side of the camera. He looked so happy and carefree. 

The next photo causes me to stop.

Stained with tiny drops of blood, the photo was of Mika, Taehyung, and I together on the porch swing.

The blood reminds me of shattered glass and my eyes glance back inside the tin to catch a glimmer of the ring. 

"Mika," 

I whisper his name and drop the photo. It carefully scrapes the dust on the ground as I hold my pounding head.

"NO, YOU DO NOT GET TO DETERMINE WHAT DOES OR DOES NOT MEAN ANYTHING!"

"Pierce! Come drink with me!"

"Was it because of Rei?"

"Come on Pierce, you know you've always wanted me," 

"I trusted you Pierce. I trusted you with everything I have and everything I am. How could you do this to me when I have been nothing but good to you!"

"Lulu...I feel so weird...what...What have you..."

The fog that covered every memory of my mind lifted and the face of the pixelated man I once loved finally appears...

"MIKA!"