52. The Vendetta

(Pierce POV)

Before the judge even announced the verdict I knew what the sentence would be.

Mika had won.

The kid would only go to juvenile detention for one year; possibly six months for good behavior.

"Pierce I'm..."

Icarus turns to apologize to me, but I shake my head.

"It wasn't you," I tell him as I stand to walk away. Bursting through the courtroom doors as that all too familiar stone cold feeling of numbed existence coats insides.

"Pierce!"

I heard him call my name but refused to turn around. The press was already in hot pursuit with a million questions I didn't care to answer.

"PIERCE!"

I keep walking until I reach the doors to the outside world and feel his hands grip my arm.

At his softest touch, I freeze in place.

"Pierce, I'm sorry. I had to do it. I was just doing my job." Mika Park tries to excuse himself for what he did and I snatch my arm back, slowly turning on my heel and facing him.

"Mika, oh sweet innocent Mika, you've done nothing wrong," I whisper with just enough volume for only the two of us to hear. 

His expression softens as the tears fill his big brown eyes as I stood face to face with my soul mate.

"Everything I build, every shred of happiness I desire turns to dust. I think I've been cursed, to be honest," I continue to his soft sniffle. 

I wanted to close the gap between us, to hold him and tell him everything was going to be just fine because I was going to take care of it. In the moment, where it was the two of us, time seemed to slow and all I focused on was him.

He was the only person who could read my thoughts like an open book without trying. 

"I regret the day I left you," He says and takes the breath from me.

He tells me now.

After all these years. 

"And now everything seems so impossible,"

On that note, I exit the court fulfilled. 

***

The water in the sink overflows as I stare into the mirror. Taking a few shaky breaths, I stumble and fall as the world starts to spin from the multiple pills I shoved into my body. In my final moments, I think of Tae and Clara.

Their little faces haunt me in my last breaths.

"I'm sorry, I wasn't strong enough to be your father,"

I finally...

surrender...

to the darkness.

"Daddy?"