53. Questioned Existence

I open my eyes and take a deep breath, coughing out all the dry air sitting in my lung while also feeling some kind of foreign object jammed in my windpipe. Assaulted by the bright lights and screaming which all my primary senses into overload and I start to panic with my eyes squeezed shut.

"Pierce, relax for me, okay, just relax, everyone except him needs to clear this room now," I hear Peter's voice call out over the cries. Just the sound of my brother helps me know I'm protected and not alone. 

I try to say his name but the foreign object gets in the way and I'm so confused as to why I wasn't in control of my own breathing. 

"Pierce? Hey, hey, can you open your eyes for me? I made it dark so you should be okay," He says and I slowly open my eyes to see my brother standing over me in a dim light.

"There you are," He says in a calm tone and wipes a tear from his eyes.

"Okay, if you can understand me I need you to blink once for yes and twice for no."

I blink once and he moves on.

"Can you see me right now?"

I blink once.

"Okay, good. Do you know where you are right now?" 

I blink twice.

"You're in the hospital, Pierce. Do you remember why?" 

I try to think back through the foggy mush that had become my brain.

The pills come to mind straight away.

I blink once.

"Pierce, you suffered from a drug overdose after you attempted to commit suicide, but we got to you just in time and we were able to save you. Do you understand?" 

I blink once.

"Do you still feel the same way?" 

I blink twice.

I regretted the suicide the moment I heard Taehyung's voice ring in my ears.

"Good, now I'm going to be really honest but I need you to stay calm, otherwise I'm going to have to drug you, do you understand?" 

I blink once.

"You put yourself in a coma Pierce. You've been asleep for an entire year. Now you might feel kind of sluggish but that's okay," 

What?

"You're also on a ventilator, I'm going to pull it out so you can speak okay?" 

Peter looks over at something I couldn't see.

"It's okay, you can stay." 

I blink once and he pushes something on the bed, causing me to sit up and see we weren't alone in the room. A man with light lavender hair stands in the corner, his light brown eyes were wide as he saw me. He must be one of Peter's interns. After unplugging the ventilator and proving I can breathe on my own, Peter takes hold of the tube and tells me to cough. 

"Holy Fuck, this hurts,"  I cough and hold my chest, continuing to cough to the point where I thought I was going to throw up. Peter takes a small light and points shines it in my eyes.

"Aish! Get that thing away I just woke up!" I yell at him and he chuckles slightly. 

The light turns off and I see Peter at the other end, he smiles through his new beard and my confusion starts to settle in. 

"Has it really been a whole year?" I ask, my voice rasped and dry. 

I cough a little bit more and my brother suddenly rushes at me so hard I go flying back into the hospital bed. He squeezes me tight without saying a word and feeling weird I hug him too, holding him close to me. He was skinnier than I remember him but other than that he was the same old Peter. He pulls away, looking into my eyes and I raise an eyebrow. 

"Peter?" I cough and I groan as he hugs me again. 

I can hear this strange mixture of choking and sobbing come from my ear. 

"Peter! What's wrong?!" I ask in a state of confusion and the man in the corner of the room comes to the bed and joins him in hugging me.

"Wait, who are you?" I ask the man and he suddenly jets back. Peter stops crying and slowly pulls away from me.

"Y-you don't remember me?" He asks and he looked and sounded so familiar but I couldn't put my finger on it. I had no clue as to who he was. It was like having a word in mind and knowing the first letter but not being able to remember the full word.

"No...I feel like I know you but I don't remember you, why?" I ask and the ma;  who looked more like a boy with his youthful looks, steps back. 

"It's me...M-Mika," He stutters but the name doesn't ring a bell.

"I'm sorry but I don't know who you are,"