49. John Doe

(Peter POV)

"You're the only one who can do the surgery."

My older sister Mia says as I check the same charts, going over the information over and over again. I nod slowly, mentally preparing myself for the long night ahead of me. I would have to text Joseph and let him know I wasn't going to make it home tonight.

"I don't know if I'm good enough for this Mia..." I sigh as I push up holograms.

We had a victim from a bad motor vehicle accident, aged thirty with multiple spinal fractures.

"Peter, you're one of the best surgeons in the world. If we don't operate on this man soon, he's going to be paralyzed for the rest of his life." Mia says with this strange sense of urgency I've never seen before. Both of us stand in the X-Ray lab of Grayson Memorial hospital in our white doctors' coats, examining every detail.

"The name isn't given, do we know who it is?" I ask and she shrugs.

"You know these ER victims usually come in as unconscious John Does." She says and I nod in agreement but there was something in her tone that was off.

"He's the same age as me and probably has a family of his own. I wonder if they know where he is or what he would want to do," I sigh as I calculate the pros and cons of this high-risk surgery.

"Are you sure we can't get an ID on this guy? We could always scan his chip. It's not that hard Mia." I suggest, but after looking at the ruptures I knew the answer and I was ready to do what needed to be done.

"With these lesions, we don't have time and we can't move him. You know that." She says as she twirls a hologram with her finger.

"And I'm sure the family would only want the absolute best for him and right now that's you." She says with a stern look I couldn't refuse.

"Tell them to prepare OR four. I'll go scrub in," I agree to the surgery and my older sister gives me a solid look of approval before rushing out of the room while I mentally prepare.

***

I close up the incisions using robots to minimize scarring on this poor man's back and pull away from his limp body. The adrenaline from this risky surgery and the rush from its success gets to me as the nurse takes off my blood-soaked garments. The unusual silence in the room was stifling and I look up to see all the surgeons and assistants staring at me in shock. A dense tension filling in the room.

"This surgery was a success although we won't know for sure until he wakes up. Can someone please tell me what's going on? Is there some information that I'm missing?" I ask awkwardly and Mia gently tugs her mask down with her light blue-gray eyes peering into mine.

"Dr. Grayson can we have a moment please." She says in a calm voice. Confused I look at the monitors to double check, but the patient seemed more stable now than ever before.

Did I do something wrong that I didn't pick up on?

No, it couldn't be.

I have a near perfect eidetic memory and I can recall there wasn't a single misstep.

Mia gently tugs on my arm as the other doctors and nurses prep the John Doe for the intensive care unit where he would recover until we could assess him after he woke up. I follow her just outside the operating room and pull down my mask.

"Did I do something wrong?" I ask and she visibly gulps.

"No Peter, you did nothing wrong..." She bites her lip and I start to wash my hands in the sink.

"Then what's going on?" I ask again. She sighs and looks back into the operating room and I do too. The doctor pulls off the sheet covering the man's face, but all I can see is the back of his head.

"It was Pierce." She says and I snap my head back to her so fast it hurt.

"What about Pierce?" I ask and she looks me in the eyes.

"The man you just operated on was Pierce Peter Grayson, John Doe, Aged thirty, nearly paralyzed from a motorcycle accident this morning when he collided with a drunk driver. His boyfriend, however, was pronounced dead at the scene," My sister gives more information that, for now, was going in one ear and out the other. I look back into the OR just as they turn the gurney around and see my own reflection staring back at me.

"It was...It was..."

I felt like the world was starting to spin as I stumble over to the wall feeling light headed.

"Peter?!"

My head tilts down and I catch sight of the specks of blood covering the plastic boots over my shoes. They were covered in blood. My twin brother's blood. I was covered in my twin brother's blood.

 My eyes roll to the back of my head as I faint.