Chapter 23

2 Months Later

Cash has been telling Payton for the longest that he will try to convince Jojo to go to rehab.

The time has come and he wants this on going beef that Payton and Jojo have to stop.

Cash feels that regardless of their situation, Jojo is Payton's birth mom and Payton should respect her even tho she hates the choices she had made.

Payton has told Cash numerous times that she doesn't want to talk to Jojo. Cash has been talking to Jojo for these past months now and she's been on the right track.

Cash

I drove over to the diner to meet up with Jojo. She's been clean for two months.

Two months ago I bumped into her and she was crying to me and telling me she wants to get herself together so she can have a relationship with Payton.

She even told me to drive her to the rehab home. I was shocked as hell but then I got happy because I knew how happy Payton would be.

"Wasup Jojo." I hugged her and sat down.

"I'm living." Jojo was acting all jumpy but I didn't pay it too much mind. I went on with the conversation.

"So, today is the big day huh?" I can tell she was nervous. She was swirling the spoon in her coffee.

"Yeah, you got this tho. Once P see that you clean she'll probably want to sit down and have a decent conversation with you."

"Ion know Cash, she probably won't." Jojo didn't have any confidence it was sad.

"Where ya confidence at Jojo?" I said while pulling my phone out.

"You right, you right." She sat there in the daze.

I was on the phone with Rafael, we was talking business as usual. I begin to hesitate about speaking in front of Jojo but her head was somewhere else so fuck it.

"Yeah, I'll handle the work in about two weeks... Alright bet." I hung up my phone and we headed to my car.

***

We arrived at my house and Payton opened up the door. She was confused as hell, she cut her eyes at me and then at Jojo.

She walked in the living room and we followed behind her. Oh boy!

"What's this all about Mekhi?" She crossed her legs, she was still in her robe.

"Look, I brought Jojo here so y'all can talk.. Remember I said y'all was going to talk." I looked at both of them and then I got up and walked towards the steps.

"Wait, Cash.. Don't leave me down here. Where are you goin?" Payton was getting upset. They needed one on one tho.

"I'm taken a nap, wake me up in another hour or so." I waved her off and made my way upstairs.

Payton

I can't believe this nigga gon leave me alone with her. I can't face her myself I just can't.

"You ready to talk." Jojo said while looking up at me, she had her head down the whole time.

I guess so.

"Yeah, I guess so.. But where do we start?" I questioned.

"First let me say that I truly apologize for all the wrong I've done. I know you hate my guts and think I'm a terrible mother." That she was right.

"Go on." I simply said.

"Look, I left you with Princess because I knew in my heart that she would be a better mother then me, you needed someone who could love you and spoil you and do all the things a mother should do, at the time I wasn't able to do that because I was caught up in a crazy life, I let the drugs get in my head.. That shit messed me up and I was hooked."

Jojo voice started to crack and soon she begin crying.

"Payton, I'm so sorry for hurting you the way I did. I'm sorry for being a dead beat mother, I'm sorry for putting you thru so much shit, I've sat in that rehab home and for nights I've cried because my past was eating me up. I got clean for me and you. I wanted to show you that people can change.

Jojo had scooted closer to me and she begin to hug me, I didn't back up either. I let it happen. For once I was at peace.

"You right you did hurt me, for many years I asked God "why me, why me?" I wanted you off that shit and I hated you so much because how much hurt I was feeling, I never understood when I was younger that's why I always jumped to your defense but as I got older my eyes opened up.." I felt the tears forming in my eyes. The tears started to fall.

"Payton, no please don't hate me forever." Jojo was holding both of my hands. Kind of how Princess would do.

"I didn't say no to a second chance." I blurred out. Jojo begin to smile. I haven't seen her smile in so long.

We both hugged each other. It was weird but for some reason it felt right.

Finally, after all the tears and hurting this lady put me thru. I finally feel at peace and a huge wight has been lifted off of my chest. It feels amazing to have closer.

"I'm happy you got yourself together." Jojo brown coco skin was now glowing again. Her hair was braided but it looked healthy and her braids hang low. She looked beautiful.

"Well, you know." She grabbed at the shirt she wore.

"We have a lot of catching up to do." I said while walking to the kitchen. I grabbed to bottles of water.

"Here." I handed her a bottle.

"Where do we start?" Jojo asked.

"First off..." I begin talking. We talked for a few hours. I didn't even realize it until I looked at my phone. The time read 3.

"Well it was nice talking with you, I really appreciate you given me another chance Payton." Jojo stood up off the couch.

"It was nice, I'm happy we talked, is Cash dropping you off. Where you stay?" I was curious.

"Yeah, you have to go wake him up. The program helped me get housing and I'm staying over there on Tunnel Street. You know it's peaceful and quite over that way." She grabbed her jacket.

"That's good, I'll go get him wait here." I went upstairs to me and Cash room. He was sound asleep. He looked so peaceful. I almost didn't want to wake him but I had to.

"Baby wake up. Jojo is ready to go home." He turned over and rubbed his eyes.

"What time is it." He questioned while sitting up in the bed. "Pass me my shoes Bae." I handed him his shoes and watched him as he got himself together.

"It's 3 o'clock." His eyes were filled with some surprise.

"So I guess y'all patched things up, meaning it's 3 something and y'all been talking for that long." He seemed pleased.

"We did, thank you baby." I kissed him on his lips while holding his ears.

"You did that, I just helped don't thank me baby.. It's nothing." He was right.

"I'll be back.. Ima drop Jojo off then make a couple of more drop offs." I was a lil upset. I didn't want to be in the house alone.

"Do you have to go." I wined.

"Who else gon do it?" He raised his eyebrow.

I didn't say anything.

"I'll be back." He kissed me on my forehead and then he left out.