6. No Longer a Newbie

"Hi, I'm Kasei and I'll be your server today, it's a bit busy here as you can see, I'll try to get everything ready for you quick though." I chuckle. "But it's my first week so don't expect a miracle." 

"This is your third day, right?" The lady at a booth says.

"Yeah, it is. I'm enjoying it so far. Have you decided what you want to drink?" I brush a hair out of my face.

"I'll take a diet Pepsi."

I grin and write it down. "A women after my own heart."

She chuckles and closes the menu. "You're a fan of Pepsi, then?"

"Yes, I am. So glad this isn't a coke place, can't stand the taste." I chuckle. 

"Yeah. I'll make things a little easier for you, I know what I want to eat as well." 

"Oh, perfect." 

"I'll order a bacon cheeseburger on rye and sub the garden salad for a side of applesauce, please." She hands me the menu as I scribble down her order. 

"I'm not sure.." I drift off. I can't remember what all the substitutes are. 

"You can sub it." She smiles kindly at me. "Just ask the back." 

"Sorry, course. I'll be back with your drink in a bit." I walk back to the kitchen, observing how full it is in here, wishing that Dakota wasn't at home feeling sick. Keila should be getting here in about half an hour, but until then it's just me and Erin.

"Jacque! Order for table 6." I grab the plates for table eight, proud of my balancing skills. "Here you go, and here. Refill?" I gesture to the woman's empty coffee cup, and at her nod, fill it up. "More pweese" her little daughter says, holding out her tiny cup.

"Of course sweetheart." I turn to her mom. "Apple juice?" she nods. "Okay, ladies. I'll be back in a minute."

I rush around, refilling cups, serving food, and washing down tables.

"Okay, so sorry it took so long Ma'am, here's your burger." I place her order down on the table.

"Please. None of this Ma'am stuff, I'm hardly that old. Call me Joanie."

I freeze in shock. Could it be THAT Joanie?

"I think you are doing a wonderful job around her. It's too bad Dakota is sick, because we seem to be pretty full today." She continues.

"Wait. Are you THE Joanie?" I ask her.

She bursts out laughing, and I instantly see the similarity between her and Erin. "THE Joanie. You make it sound like some celebrity. Yes, I'm Erin's mom, and also the owner of the restaurant. Without you knowing, I've been keeping tabs on your serving...although today is the only day I've been on the floor, I can say I'm rather impressed." She continues.

"Anyway, table for 8 just came in." Joanie winks.

I turn around. It's the bikers again. "I'll be sure to seat them. Enjoy your food."

"Afternoon boys." I walk over there. I pick up 8 menus. "Right this way." I could deny the fact that I'm swishing my hips a little more than usual, or that I can guarantee when I turn around, they will all be staring at my ass in this short, tight skirt. But Erin was right. Use what you got they'll  tip well, so I don't mind them staring. I walk towards Joanie, and she winks and gestures behind me. Knew it.

I can feel Scott walking close behind me. "We want our usual booth." He says in my ear when I slow at an open table. 

"Right." I clear my throat, my face getting hot at his close proximity. "Yeah." I slap the menus down on their booth, taking a deep breath and brushing my hair off my head. "Okay, I'm guessing the usual drinks for y'all?"