46. Dress Shopping

hi  yall. been a while  i know i'm sorry. 

happy 2020!

my  resolution is to write more :)

here:

______________________________

"What do you think about this one?" Dakota jokingly holds it up against her frame.

I snort and run my hand down the dress critically. "Love it, but this is a cocktail dress, Kota. This is a formal occasion."

"Ugh. So no short dresses?"

"Yeah pretty much." I turn to the next rack, and flip through the dresses. "You could honestly just wear one of the dresses you already have, hey?"

She makes a noise and shrugs. "You heard how excited my Mom was. She reinstated my credit card within the same hour.  I don't want to go back to that house anytime soon, anyway." She takes another dress off the rack. 

"Fair enough." I agree. 

"Avery!" She calls to the sales woman.

"Yeah?" Avery materializes beside us. "What can I do for you two?"

"This one can go in my fitting room, and which section has the floor length dinner gowns? But the super fancy ones. You guys rearranged this store again and I can't find anything."

Avery laughs. "Marsha really gotta stop messing things up." She leads us to the other room before nodding to the far shelf. "Mom's paying for this one again?"

"We aren't exactly on speaking terms,  she said she was cutting me off." I hold up my Starbucks cup. "My card is still working so far."

She laughs. "Nice."

"Doesn't matter, her boyfriend is paying for hers." Dakota points out.

"BUT I'd rather go cheaper." I laugh with an eye roll.

"Okay then."

"I was cut off too." Dakota laughs. "We're both disappointments. But one word about a party and now my credit card works again. But you know how it goes. They want me to be their perfect preppy little dinner party daughter." She snorts. "Not ever gonna happen again, but might as well make use of it now." 

"Well if daddy's still paying, then I'm thinking I know how to help you."

"Oh?"

"Yeah. On the back wall is a bunch that we JUST got in, like yesterday. I guarantee you will be the first one to buy."

"Okayyy." Dakota drags out the word. "I can vibe with that." She laughs with Avery as if they're old friends. We pretty much are though, considering how many red-carpet events and fancy dinners we've been to, 'Alexandras' has been our go to formal wear shop for years. Avery is our number one for knowing what makes us look the greatest.

"Ooh all these are so pretty." Dakota whistles. I walk over and check the price.

"Oh wow. Obviously." I laugh.

Avery raises her eyebrows at me, and nudges Dakota. "What happened to her?"

They both laugh and I roll my eyes. "She got her own job and actually paid her own bills." Dakota snorts.

"Well." Avery bumps shoulders with me. "Welcome to the real world, princess."

"Oh shut up, and find me a cheap dress." I sass back. 

They both laugh at me as she searches through the racks of dresses. "Sparkly?"

"I prefer to not be itchy all night." I snort.