42. Audition Realization

JUST A QUICK ANNOUNCEMENT: I DON'T REALLY KNOW ANYTHING ABOUT BALLET, SO IF I GET SOME DETAILS WRONG I'M SORRY! ALL YOU DANCERS HAVE PERMISSION TO YELL AT ME (I tried to do my research but idk) 

Yeah cool. Enjoy this one, and try not to cry (cuz y'know i did that while writing)

_______________________________________________________________________-

"Do I know you? I think I recognize you from somewhere." The lady frowns over her glasses.

I simply shrug, not willing to give anything away before I dance.

She stares at me for a few more seconds, before sighing and shaking her head. "Sorry. Yeah you may begin now. JASHTON! Music!" She snaps her fingers and the guy at the back of the auditorium nods. The curtains close and I take a deep breath.

Here we go. The thing I've wanted for as long as I can remember, coming true with a few notes of music.

The curtain opens, and I waltz gracefully to the center of the stage. Bow, right leg, bow, left leg, pirouette... I recycle the same moves I've been practicing for years.

I dance across the stage gracefully, with a smile, clearing my mind completely. This is as natural to me as someone riding a bike.

Bike. Immediately, I misstep when I think of my messy haired, dimpled biker back at home. No. Not my home if I make this. Now, clear thoughts. I pray that they didn't see that, and as I spin back so I'm facing them, three out of four are writing something down.

Merda.

Suddenly, as the crescendo approaches and I get ready for the big jump, I get mad. There's no way I'm going to let some lying user mess up my future. This is MY time. This is what I've ALWAYS wanted. I need to do this for me. I sigh, and prepare myself. One-two-three! I perfect my grand allegro. Yes. This is for me. A thought flashes in my head as I prepare my next steps.

_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-

"You need to do this!"

"Why? For me? Or for you?" I sneer through the screen.

Mother looks shocked. "Kasey Grace Ashugh! This is all you've been talking about for as long as you were able to talk!'

"This is the only thing I've ever known since I was able to talk! What if I wanted to be a dentist? I was never allowed to choose, mother!"

"A dentist? Really? YOU wanted to be a ballerina. YOU asked ME."

"I didn't know how to spell my own name! Most people want to be an astronaut or firemen or fairy princesses when they grow up! Nobody takes a child's dream job seriously?!"

"Don't you dare disrespect me, or the thousands I've spent getting you where you need to go, Kasey."

"I'm not! I'm just trying to be heard for once."

"Stop being overdramatic and listen to me. You MUST go to New York. This isn't just one of those things you can ignore. Follow my directions."

"Why must I always follow you?"

"Because you wouldn't be anywhere if it wasn't for me. I got you here. I built the stage for you, and all you have to do is dance."

"What if I don't want to?"

"Of course you do. You've never said otherwise!"

"If I did? Would you listen?"

She stares right through the screen, her ice queen blue eyes that can pierce a soul freezing me to the core. "Kasey."