45. Finally Home

Hey guys! I'm sorry it's been forever since I posted....life has been so so so busy :/

I got a new job finally, and a boyfriend so yay but also that leaves me with NO time to do what i love (aka writing) 

but I promise that i'll update more consistently. 

I'm honestly so thankful for all of you, for not giving up on me and this book. 

Your constant love, votes, kind messages and support are so important to me. Thank you for being you! 

in case yall need a recap since its been MONTHS, here:

Basically Kasey's mother scared her into thinking literally everyone hates her and is using her and so Kasey went all AHHH I'm gonna break up with Jake. Yes. Good idea brain. And then the father bomb was dropped on her and she was like i gotta go meet him! SO y'know she flew to california to see him and his family and yeah they're all amazing and blah blah. she's back home now, finished explaining herself to Jake and Dakota, and the Jasey train is BACK ON TRACK WHOOT WHOOOOOOOT

now, enjoy. 

_____________________________________________________________

I wring my hands in my lap nervously as Dakota smirks in the seat beside me.

"What?" I huff at her.

"Nothing. I just find it funny how you went M.I.A for several days and now you're gonna go grovel for your job back."

"It's not that I need my job BACK, it's just that I'm not sure if I still, y'know...have my job." I bite my lip. "You don't need to stress me out even more."

She laughs. "I'm not trying to stress you out...I'm just saying that Joanie was absolutely freaking out cuz during our busy week you just dipped and you didn't even call or text her with some shitty excuse."

I let out an uneven breath and unbuckle before checking my appearance in the car mirror for the umpteenth time. My makeup is uneven from my shaky hands, my dress shirt wrinkled and buttoned too high so it feels restricting and like I can't breathe.

"Gawd, Kasey. I've never seen you this nervous, even before a performance!"

"Shut up." I mutter as I grab my bag and take a sip from my water bottle. "This is something that actually matters to me...you know, that I've never done anything myself before. This is it. And if I've lost this...idk what I'm gonna do."

"You're gonna get your butt out of the car, cuz I gotta work and I'm not leaving until you do."

"Fine." I huff. "I'm going." I exit the car and swing open the door to the inviting atmosphere of the diner. Warm and welcoming, the faded posters and smell of deep fried food and beer. The chatter from the dining room where families are eating, and the occasional loud laughter and cheering from in the lounge.

Joanie is standing at the host stand, her signature grin wiped from her face. "Dakota? Please get to work. The weekend lunch crowd is in. Kasey. Come with me."

"Yes ma'am." We say in unison, heading in opposite directions.

I follow Joanie to the office, closing the door behind her as she requests me. "Sit, Kasey."

I sit down, letting out a breath as I look her in the eyes, trying to not appear that I'm more nervous than I am.

"First of all, do you have any idea why you're here today?"

"Yes, ma'am. I'd like to apologize. I was going through some personal issues and didn't let you know."

"You gotta know what this looks like, Kasey." She sighs. "You requested two days off a few weeks ago. You let me know that you had to do your dance, and I was prepared to let you do that. I sent you a good luck card. What I did not prepare for, was several days beforehand for you to not come into your shift."