13. I'm Moving Out

"I'm home!" I call. My mother walks past me.

"We know that Kasei. You scanned your key-card into the front gate." She rolls her eyes.

"Yeah. I know."

"So what did you do today?" she asks in a tone that suggests she doesn't care.

"I went to work." I say, slipping off my jacket. And hit on a hottie, spilled a drink and made out with him, then wandered around for the rest of my shift in a confused/conflicted daze.

"I don't understand how I am making millions and you still choose to work and some low-down diner place that probably goes against all health code regulations."

"It does not!" I get defensive. "You need to go there once and you will see what a lovely place it is." I snap.

"While you are still living under my roof, I expect that you don't tarnish reputations working at some diner."

"Well then it's a good thing I won't be living here for long!" I sass.

Emmaline appears beside my mother and they both gasp. "What?"

"Me and Dakota found a nice townhouse to rent this morning, and once she finishes going over all the legal stuff with her Dad, we're moving in. Our official date of possession is the 1st of July, but since nobody is living there right now, we're thinking this weekend." 

"You can't rent a place with your best friend if you're going to be living in new york in 3 months." Mother can't hide her disgusted expression.

"Obviously we thought of that, we're doing a month-by-month renting with a 6 month term for now." 

She scoffs at me, pale blue eyes glaring daggers. "What does Richard and Ainsely think about that?" 

I bite my lip. "She's telling them now, but we're adults who can make our own choices." 

"That's ridiculous." Mother snorts. 

"Are you going to have a housewarming party? Can I organize it?" Em completely ignores what she's saying, unable to hide her excitement. "It can be a fourth of July party!"

"Of course you can, Em." I chuckle. "That will be fun, I'll just put out feelers on my story and see who wants to come." 

"Si. Let me know the guest-list, so I can prepare the food." 

My mother crosses her arms, looking between the two of us, unimpressed. "It seems like a waste of time and resources and I won't attend." 

"I'm sorry for just springing the news on you guys, but this is something we've thought about for a while. We've never been independent, and I really think that this is something we need to do. We can't just live under our parents' wings forever, you know?"

"You are right. I understand mia cara." Em says.

"I don't understand, but I'm not going to waste precious brain thought trying to figure it out. I'm flying to LA tonight, so I'll probably not see you for a while. Alondra also wanted you to know that you have to get there at 5 instead of 5:30." Mother flicks her hair and walks towards her room.

"Merda! That means I have 15 to get ready." I huff, rushing up the stairs to find my pointe shoes and workout wear.

*******

"You are late, Kasei." Alondra snaps as I run through the door.

"I'm sorry. You were the one to bump up my appointment, though." I counter.

She narrows her eyes. "If ballet is the most important thing in your life, you won't be wasting time on anything else." 

"I'm not saying it's not the most important thing, but me and my best friend just got a new place and we're trying to figure out moving an-"