27. Mushy Heart

"Yes, Dakota. I'm on the phone right now." I shoo her away, and she holds her hands up in a defensive position.

"Fine. I'll go paint tell bae I said hi."

I roll my eyes at her, and turn my attention back to Jake. "Sorry what were you saying?"

"I was just saying that there's nothing I want less than to go to the strip club with them. I mean, I love them and all, but they don't get that's not me!" He sighs.

"Go to dinner with me!" I blurt impulsively.

Silence, then you can hear his smile as he says: "Kasey, did you just ask me on a date?"

"NO!" I quickly say, making a 'Psh' noise.

"Uh huh."

"It's like, a thing with Momma Em."

"So a- meet the family- date?" He definitely messing with me on purpose. "Girl, we just became official a few days ago. I thought somebody didn't want this to go too fast?" He sounds as though he's trying not to laugh.

"No! It's just- I just thought since you needed an excuse... and I thought it would be nice to... it's not like you think I just thought...ya know." I pause my rambling. "Okay, merda. Never mind. Pretend I never said anything. Just forge-"

"I'd love to." He interrupts.

"What?"

"I'd love to meet the woman that made the wonderful Kasey." He chuckles.

"Well it's too late. I already forgot I said anything."

"Ah, ah, ahh. No uninviting me now."

"Okay, okay. Fine. But this isn't a date." I say, making sure he knows.

"I'd really love to take you out in public as mine, ya know."

"You know I don't date. I said we'd take things slow involving...everyone else." I sigh.

"Yeah. I'm aware you said that. Oh well. Imma just keep waiting for you baby."

My face is so red right now. This 'trying to not fall in love with you by keeping distance' thing isn't really working out for me. "I gotta go, Jake."

"Hmm."

"No I'm serious I'm busy."

"Really."

"Uh, yep."

"Doing what?" He challenges.

"Making..." I look around the room, and pick up an empty saucepan. "Supper." I finish, plopping it down loudly on the counter to prove my point.

"Interesting... What is it?"

"Tacos!" I blurt the first thing that comes to mind, in my panic.

"With a pot?" He snorts.

"Um, warming up the taco sauce. How else are we going to eat dinner? Cold taco sauce?" I sass. I have no idea what I'm saying right now.

"Why are you 'warming up taco sauce for supper' at 3pm."

"We eat early."

"Really now."

"Um, yes?"

He snickers. "That's complete bullshit, but I'll go if you'd like."

"Okay."

"So...Bye then."

"Bye."

He doesn't hang up, and neither to i.