43. Unexpected Visitor-DPOV

This one is from Dakota's perspective, enjoy!

_________________________________________-

Someone pounds on the front door, and I open it up to see a bloodshot-eyed JT.

"JT. What the hell are you doing here?" I haven't really heard the story of what happened between them, but Kasey is my best friend, and I will always stand by her when someone wronged her somehow.

"I need Kasey. Please." He begs.

"I can't help you with that." I announce, swinging the door to close it in his face. 

"Wait." He sticks his arm in the door so I can't close it any further.

"What?" I snipe.

"Can I just see her for a second?" He gasps. "Please? I need to talk to her."

I feel myself soften a little bit. "JT. I honestly can't help you. She isn't here. She got on a plane a couple days ago and I haven't heard a word since."

"Fuck." He mutters.

"I'm sorry." I look him over, trying not to judge as I notice how rumpled he looks. Bloodshot eyes tell me he hasn't slept well in days, his perfectly messy hair is now more like a messy whack job, his usually neatly groomed stubble is almost beard length, and his clothed are all wrinkly and stained. For someone that usually looks so attractive, he really kinda looks homeless. He looks like someone took his whole world away.

As he turns away towards his truck, defeated shoulders slumped, I sympathize with him. I haven't heard from Kasey in days, and I legit never watch TV or listen to the news. If I didn't check my SnapMap as soon as her plane was scheduled to land, I wouldn't even know if she made it there safely. Hell, I've been going hermit for a while, aching to finish this one work of art, so who knows? Her plane could have crashed 3 days ago and I would be unaware, or she could have been kidnapped and sold to some people in Saudi Arabia.*  Suddenly, as a panic washes over me, I quickly yell to him. 

"JT. Come inside for a bit. We should talk but first I have to check on something."

He turns around. "Sure, okay. I don't have anything better to do..." He adds quietly.

Without even making sure that he makes it through the door I dash up the stairs to my loft and look for my phone. Fuck. Not here.

"JT, call my phone!" I instruct. "I'm going to look for it."

He looks confused, but listens, scrolling down his contacts and pressing on mine. I look under couch cushions, and in the kitchen. As a last thought, I run to my bedroom. I mean, I haven't slept in here for a couple days but who knows it could be here.

I try to listen, try to hear if anything makes a sound at all, but I'm guessing my phone is on silent. "Ah hah!" there you are.

"I found it. It was in my nightstand drawer. Thanks for helping though..." I sit down across from him at the dinner table.

Without another word, I click into my snapchat and look for her grinning red-headed Bitmoji. "Ah good."

JT looks up. "What?"

"Nothing. It just says that Kasey was active on here 2 minutes ago. And once her story loads..." I drift off.

"Why are you concerned about that?"

"Nothing, never mind." I quickly say, gnawing a hangnail as her story loads.

"Keila talked to her." He breaks the silence.