22. Let's Go Clubbing-Dakota POV

i don't think i've ever done dakota pov before, so HERE! enjoy!

__________________________________________________________________________

"PLEASE?" I beg her.

"No. Dakota, I already told you. Alondra said I have to be hardcore until NYCB."

"Okay! I totally understand, but honestly, lately you haven't really been that hardcore. You're always complaining about ballet. I personally think that you should just quit." I roll my eyes.

"I don't think I hate it." She bites her lip nervously, bending down to touch her toes.

I let out a breath. I can tell she doesn't like it. It's become more like an obligation, less like a fun thing. Every year, when recitals are coming up and stuff, and she's totally devoted to it, always working herself too hard, but this year, she's much chiller with this whole situation.

When she was preforming, that was her zone. She'd dance across the stage, glowing, and smiling. Everything else in her life would be meh. Now she looks the happiest when she's hanging out with our biker friends, serving tables, and laughing on the back of a bike. Ballet for her is *meh* now.

"If you really loved it you wouldn't have to think about it, girl."

"I guess." She continues stretching as I lounge on the couch eating chips. "It's just frustrating how everyone says that now."

How does she not see it?!

"Look. I've made myself an ultimatum. If I get into one of my dance colleges, I'll continue doing dance, and I'll think about quitting. If I don't, I'll just think about something else...maybe I'll go into teaching."

"Teaching?"

"Yeah. I've laid in bed at night thinking about it. What if I taught little kids dance, instead of doing it? Like, I love kids, and I love dance, just not all the competitive shit."

"Ooh. Yeah, I can see it." I smile. "You should check out doing that."

"Yeah, but like I don't wanna be like my mother. Everyone's gonna start speculating, Kota."

"Egh, screw them Kasey. Let 'em talk." I roll my eyes

"I don't want to be my mother, darlin'. I really don't like her." She huffs.

"I know."

"Like, I know that's not necessarily a good thing to say..." she drifts off.

"Ah, girl you don't have to justify yourself to me. I know your mother." I laugh.

"But, like what if I'm only able to go places because of who I am? I wanna be good enough to do things on my own, not because my Mother's famous...ya know?" She rubs her forehead.

"I see what you mean...but you don't have to go by her name when performing." I suggest.

"They've seen the tabloids, Kota. They know who I am."

"Yeah, but what if they don't recognize you at first?"

"Um, dummy!" She points to her bright orange hair. "I'm kind of recognizable. I've been in all the ballet articles and stuff."

"Yeah, but I thought you usually sprayed it when your preforming?"

"Oh, yeah. You're right." She slaps herself on the forehead. "Mio sciocco. I haven't performed in a while, so I momentarily forgot. Of course. Yeah, they think it's kinda brownish, and under my stage makeup, they can't really tell the face."