25. Genius-Dakota POV

Hi I just edited this chapter again don't mind me...

Here: 

The wind makes the tree bend and strain. I watch it's movements for a few more seconds before I dip my paintbrush into the gray again. Vivid strokes create chaos in the sky, giving the storm life on my canvas. Not as much life as out there. I mentally point out, as the thunder booms again.

The door bangs open downstairs and I jump, and stand as I greet Kasey. "Holy crap it's really stormy out there." She huffs, dropping her bag and taking off her coat.

"Yeah tell me about it." I chuckle, leaning over the edge of the loft. "How was practice?"

She blows a stray hair out of her face. "Um, good. But Alondra was uber grumpy today. She yelled at me seven times, D. SEVEN! And I'm not even sure why! Like seriously!"

"Hey, I mean she's stressed out for you I'd say, your auditions are coming up."

She sighs and changes the number on the fridge. "Yeah I know...I actually can't believe that in a little more than a week, the only thing I've wanted will be happening." She shakes her head, then grabs an apple from the fridge.

"Yeah, I know! Exciting, huh?" I gush.

She makes a noncommittal sound and takes a bite of the apple. That's always her response these days. "So what are you working on?" She starts to climb the stairs to my loft, and I make a frustrated sound.

"Oops! Merda, sorry." She jumps back to the ground and looks up at me. "May I enter?" she says almost sarcastically.

I roll my eyes and remove the paints from off the floor where they previously were, and seal the lids. "Yeah, come up."

"Seriously Dakota! How can you live like this?" she holds onto the railing as she removes her socks, and rolls up her sleeves so they don't accidentally get covered in paint. Her critical eyes survey the room, and she gingerly steps over a blob of paint splattered on the tarp covering the ground.

I shrug and look for a place to put down the paint jars in my arms. "It's not that bad..." I defend, shoving a few things off the desk to make space.

The papers flutter to the ground, and Kasey rushes over and grabs them, putting them in a neat stack.

"What are these?" she looks down at the pile, flipping a few pages.

"Um, I'm not actually sure..." I peek over her shoulder. "Prolly garbage."

"Kota. These are your acceptance forms for Harvard, Yale..." she continues flipping through them.

"Oh. That's where they went. Yeah my mom brought those in a few days ago, I forgot where I tossed them.

"Hey! Ainsley came by and you never told me?" she frowns.

"You were at work, I think. I told her you said hi." I shrug.

She rolls her eyes. "You still haven't talked to your parents about not wanting to go to law school in September?"

I shift uncomfortably and pick at a dry spatter of paint on the corner of my desk. "Actually...um I did." I bite the inside of my cheek as the lie just floats past my lips.

"What?? Actually!" She squeals

"Um, yes?"

She plops the pile down on the ground and gives me a hug. "I'm so proud of you! What did they say?"

"Umm, they were okay with it?"

She frowns and looks at me disbelievingly. "They were okay with it."