16. First Time For Everything

"Hi." I can't help the blush that crawls up my cheeks at the sight of that man leaning against the wall, leathers beside him. 

"Why do girls take so long to shower?" Jake chuckles.

I roll my eyes. "I don't speak for 'girls' but it's really just my hair." I whip the long locks over my shoulder. "It takes forever to wash." 

He pretends to check his watch. "Well, it hasn't been forever yet, but like 30 minutes."

"You don't need to time me." I chuckle, twisting my hair up into a bun.

His hand halts my movements. "I like it down."

I bite my lip. I never leave it down. You are clearly someone I'm comfortable with if you see me with my hair down. I sigh. Somehow I feel comfortable with him. I drop my hair and shake it out. "Fine. Are you coming with me or are am I following your car?"

"Bike." He corrects.

"What?" I stare at him, confused. He shoots me a boyish grin.

"OH... yeah, following your bike." I reach down into my bag, searching for my keys. "Oh, crap." I walk over to a bench by the door and search again.

"Problem?" Jake saunters over, hands in pockets.

"Do you have any idea where I might have left my car keys?"

"Sorry, I haven't seen them...How would you feel about taking my bike?" He bites his lip.

"Umm...I've never ridden before."

"There's a first time for everything?" He winks.

"I guess..."

"So you want to?" He lights up.

"Hmm. I'll think about it." I mutter, searching through my purse. It might be lots of fun to ride on the back of his bike, but I'm really wanting to find my damn keys. Is there a chance I left them IN my car?

"You don't have any idea?"

"Well, Keila said that you left them in the change room." He shrugs.

I run off to check. They aren't there. I sigh. Calm down.

"They aren't in there." I stress as I walk over to him. I pack up my stuff, and exit the gym, hoping I didn't leave them in my car. WAIT. Where did I put my car?!?

"Okay. Before you freak out, because you put your car right there, and it's no longer there, how would you feel about riding my bike to the restaurant?"

I take a deep breath. "Where the heck is my car?!" 

"Um...okay, don't freak out, but Dakota said it was okay.." He shifts his boot-clad feet. 

"She took the car?! And left me here?! With a strange man?" 

He frowns. "Okay, rude. I'm not strange. And Keila simply borrowed your car. She wanted to leave to go to work, and we rode in together... and Dakota thought it was a good idea if-"

"Dakota thinks everything is a good idea!" I sputter, slightly in disbelief. "That's who Dakota is! NOT ME! She's the one that managed to convince me to skinny dip at Spencer Lashsky's party in Grade 10! She's the one always telling me: 'Kasei you're not alive unless you're living, and you should skip practice...we need to go clubbing, Kasei! HEY let's get tattoos? I make your life fun, what would you do without me?' geez." I run a hand through my hair. "Without her I'd be sane, that's what. A little boring, but sane!" 

Jakes lips are sucked into his mouth as if he's trying his hardest to not laugh and have the redhead sass turned onto him. "Feel better now that the rant is all out of you?" He chuckles.