9. You're always working

I stretch my arms over my head and turn to face Dakota, who huffs.

"Sorry. What were you saying?"

"I was asking how dinner went yesterday."

"Oh. Yeah. The usual happened. She told Tony to come early in hopes of setting us up, we talked for a bit...not gonna happen." I shrug as though I'm indifferent.

"Oh. I see you guys made out, you wanted to say yes, but somewhere inside of your tiny brain you said no."

"What? No."

She raises her brows. "I often know you better than you know you." She states simply, rolling the bottle of nail polish between her hands.

"That was a very complicated sentence, Dakota...so you think I should date him?"

"The guy is clearly obsessed with you, and asks you out again every time he goes to his mammas. It's kinda sweet."

"So I do?"

"No."

"I'm confused." I frown at her.

"Listen. Every year you ask for my advice but never actually take it. This year, I'm telling you to get over him."

"I'm not-"I hesitate.

"Yes, you clearly are. You deserve to be happy and he made you happy, but he's not the only guy that can. Listen, girlie. You haven't dated anyone since him. You need to."

"I don't have time to date."

"You graduated like, a month ago, and other than dance you don't have much on your summer calendar. I'm just saying that if the guy you like can't handle your busy schedule, he's not worth dating." She says.

"I'm not only dancing now, I have work too." I remind her. 

"Oh, true. Hey, when's our next shift?" 

"Tonight." I laugh. "Dakota I love ur little carefree quirks but you were late on your first shift that we didn't have together." 

"Yeahhhh it was fine, though." She wears a bashful smile. 

I snort. "You gotta keep track of these things yourself. Get a calendar!" I think of all the different little planners and journals I have that all coordinate with my aesthetic. 

"I do have a calendar, it's on my  phone, and it just reminded me that our first paycheck is in 5 days." She sings.

Her enthusiasm is contagious, I can't fight the smile that creeps across my lips. "Yeah, that's exciting. I'm actually loving the job, what about you?" 

"I like working there, I agree. The work is not too hard, the coworkers are nice, and..." She chuckles. "Not to mention 'the bikers'" she winks, using quotation marks.

I feel a blush creeping up my cheeks. "Yeah. They're fun."

"Fun in the sack, too most likely." She nudges me.

Back to the boys topic.

"Yeah, but I'm not interested in them anymore. The other day when you were sick, I realized that they're all the same." My smile disappears when I remember about Scott.

"What about Scott?" She meets my eyes. "He kinda seemed into you."

"Okay. Yeah. But he's apparently into anyone. He's totally hot, I know. But think about this. He disappears every night with a different chick. He probably is likely to get some kind of disease. I'm not really into that anymore."