21. House Party

I pin on my earrings as my door opens.

"Hi girl! Wow. You look cuteee"

"Thanks." I chuckle, blushing.

"A certain BIKEERR is going to be here tonight." She winks as she pins back a few loose strands of my hair.

I try to sound nonchalant when I say: "Cool. So will Em, and Keila, and people from barre..."

She whacks me on the shoulder. "Can you guys just date already?"

"Guys like him don't do the whole 'dating' thing." I roll my eyes and rummage around in my drawer for my liquid eyeliner.

"Then don't date, but have SOMETHING with him. I can't stand watching you two dodge around the subject, and try to stay cool with this. We all know you are magnets trying desperately to fight the attraction and not stick together. It's clear to everyone around you!"

"I don't do the friends with benes' anymore, Kota. You know that."

She lets out a deep sigh. "Just because one guy was a dick doesn't mean they all are."

"Whatever." I sigh as I finally find the eyeliner.

Dakota snatches it out of my hand, instructing me to stay still.

"Why do y'all keep telling us to date? Like...I swear the entire time we were at Ikea, you kept giving me that look and bothering me about it."

"You guys already go on dates all the time, and you guys find it hard to keep your hands...and lips off of each other."

"Okay. Not true! They aren't 'dates', they're friendly hangouts."

"Mhmm. Explain all the touchy- touchy kissy stuff then."

"We've only kissed a couple times! And it was an accident..." I mutter

"An accident? Each time?" she raises once perfect brow and continues trancing the liner across my eyelid.

"Whatever." I mumble.

The doorbell rings and a dog starts barking. Dakota's eyes flick to my doorway for a second, and she quickly finishes my second eye.

"I'll go get that." we say in unison as she straightens, then we laugh.

"Okay, first, fancy twirl for me." she instructs.

I roll my eyes and do a pirouette, my short black skirt billowing around me.

"I love it!" she squeals and claps her hands.

"C'mon loser. The people are waiting." I giggle, heading out of my room.

I open the door. "EM!!" I cheer, as I grab the food from her and pass it to Dakota. I give her a hug, and then tell her she can throw her shoes wherever.

She tsks at me, and puts them carefully on the shoe mat.

"Okay, what did you make?" I ask, following her to the kitchen where Dakota put the food.

"Just lasagna and garlic bread."

"JUST?!" Dakota and I squeal together, jumping up and down.

"I LOVE your homemade lasagna!!" Dakota cheers.

Emmaline's homemade lasagna and garlic bread is well known, even though she only makes it on special occasions. She makes the entire thing from scratch, including the bread and the noodles.

Emmaline blushes and waves away our compliments, opening another bag. "I also make American cheesecake, you know, because it is the Fourth of the July."