Chapter 3 - Bad News

"So... You're new around here?" It's impossible to tell them apart physically because honestly, they're all completely identical, but their clothes give them away. The one in the black hoodie waits for me to answer his question.

I nod. "Yeah, we just got here," I start. Michael gives me a look. I keep going, "But I think everyone around here knows that already."

'Black hoodie' raises an eyebrow. He looks around and a few heads turn away, caught in the act. He laughs. "The staring?"

"Yes, the staring," Michael says, taking another step forward as the line moves up.

"Well that can't be helped."

I raise an eyebrow at that. "Why?"

He opens his mouth. Closes it. Opens it again, then says nothing. He looks like he's afraid he'll say the wrong thing or too much, which doesn't give me any reassurance.

He looks to his brothers, and the on the left with the grey hoodie answers. "There's been word that one of our elders had an... encounter with a foreigner recently." He looks at Michael the same way he did before, like he's the dirt beneath his feet that he can't be bothered with.

It pisses me off, and that coupled with the use of the word "foreigner" has me about ready to pop off at this dude. That is, until I really consider what he's saying. Elder? Encounter? He can't be talking about the old lady in the parking lot, right? Because that literally just happened two seconds ago. Unless this whole town has groupme, there's no way they could know about that, right? Not all of the people in this store at least.

Then again, Michael isn't exactly discreet about his traffic violations. But still...

Michael gives grey hoodie a side eye that could rival his own stare, and then saltily grumbles out. "I don't know what you're talking about."

Grey hoodie clenches his teeth, but still looks as calm as a cucumber. He seems like the kind of person who needs to be in control. That's not gonna work with Michael. "I'm sure you don't, but it should be advised that, as you've probably noticed, this neighborhood is very close. The safety of all its residents is the highest priority."

"Great to know. I love being a priority," Michael narrows his eyes.

That's the end of the guy's patience. The brother in the middle, wearing a deep, red jacket takes his place. He takes a step closer to Michael, which is also closer to me and poor Megan who's just watching the whole thing with wide eyes.

He narrows his golden eyes at Michael and says through clenched teeth, "What my brother is trying to say is watch where you're driving, or you won't be driving anymore."

Michael snaps his head towards the guy. He does a double take and nearly drops the cereal boxes. "I'm sorry, what the hell did you just say to me?"

This guy really went there? I'm just as shocked. I move Megan in front of me and try to stand in Michael's way. This isn't going anywhere good and it definitely isn't worth it. I'm just ready to go. Forget the cereal. "Come on, let's go," I tell Michael.

Michael isn't budging. The other guy isn't either. Megan reaches for me again, trying to hold onto me. Charlie stares at me from Michael's arms with a look begging me to do something.

"Carson," the one in the black hoodie gives the red one a look. It's very clear, chill out.

"What?" Red jacket, or should I say, Carson, takes his eyes off Michael for a second to look at his brother. Then he looks at me. He straightens up instantly. "T-The police will stop you is all I was saying. I didn't mean it as a threat or anything."

The brother in the grey hoodie gives him a 'you idiot' look.

While they glare back and forth at each other, the one in the black hoodie smiles at me and Michael. "It was just a friendly warning, don't worry. One guy to the next."

"Mhm," Michael hums in a way that can only mean bullshit. He's not buying it and neither am I.

"I'm Axel by the way," Black hoodie says. He reaches his hand towards me.

I give him a distasteful look along with his brothers and turn towards Michael. "Do you wanna go?"

"No, I'm going to get Charlie his cereal," Michael takes another step closer to the register. One more person and then we're next.

"I wanna go home," Charlie whines.

"Me too," Megan chimes in.

"Shush," Michael says. "I'm asserting my rights."

Charlie reaches for me, whining some more.

"Oh you don't want me anymore? Traitor." Michael grumbles.

I glare at him. "Stop it. Leave him alone." I move Charlie away from him and onto the floor beside Megan. Charlie attaches himself to my leg. I pat his head. We're almost gone.

I feel someone enter my personal bubble from behind. I move forward and glare at the space invader. Carson. This guy. He looks down at Megan and Charlie the same way his brother looks at Michael. He looks back at me and asks, "Is that your child?"

"What?" I ask. Did I hear that right?

"Is that your child?" he repeats. "As in did you two produce that child?"

I look at Michael. I look back at Carson. My jaw drops. "Together?" I point between Michael and I.

He nods. "Yes, both of you."

Is he serious? I'm sixteen. And...

Michael gags. "She's my sister!"

"So you don't have a mat... I mean, boyfriend?" he keeps going.

Black hoodie smacks his forehead. Grey hoodie shakes his head slowly, looking so done. Carson looks between the two and scoffs. "Oh come on, like you guys weren't wondering it."

Michael moves me and the kids away from them, glaring. "I'm going to say this once so listen closely. Stay. Away. From my sister. Find some other new girl to mess with." And on that note he turns around.

I don't know how to feel about the situation. Michael stands behind me protectively, and when I look back, I can see that those three guys don't look happy about it at all. The people in the line have similar expressions, but less anger. More shock. Everything Michael does shocks them. But the brothers aren't doing anything to retaliate, so I turn back around glad that the situation has finally been put itself to rest. We go through the checkout line pretty quickly and head to our minivan. Michael has a talk with me about boys and what I deserve on the car ride home.

"Do you hear me, Mia? Are you listening? No. No to all three of them. Bad idea. Bad news. Absolutely not. End of discussion," he whips the car into the driveway nearly taking out a squirrel.

I shake my head.

Charlie asks, "What is bad news?"

Michael answers before I get the chance to. "When three guys are trying to talk to you at the same time in a creepy town. That's bad news."

Megan rubs her chin, meaning that's definitely going down in her field journal. "Well then between you, dad, and Charlie, it's always bad news at home."

I laugh and laugh and laugh at that. Sometimes I love my family so much, and Michael is right. I just need to focus on school for now. Not boys, especially creepy ones from Walmart.

But damn were they hot.

What? I'm not blind! They were hot as hell and they talked to me. I flip my hair over my shoulder and give myself a mental pat on the back. I've still got it. This should be a promising school year.

But don't worry, I'm not an idiot. I know guys like that are 'bad news' and I'll never entertain them. They're only after one thing. Love at first sight doesn't exist in this generation, no matter how beautiful their eyes were, looking at me like that. Like... I don't know. Like I mattered to them? Is that stupid?