Chapter 65 - Who Tells Your Story

A/N (12/17/18) - I may be done with Hamilton, but, clearly, Hamilton's not done with me. Raise a glass if you're in the same boat

--

When potentially innocent refugees show up at your border, you're supposed to keep them out. When potentially hostile ambassadors show up at your border, you're supposed to let them in.

We're sitting in one of the large Town Hall rooms. It's set up like we're about to conduct a meeting. The brothers and I, along with Bri, Krys, Coach Kenet, and Mr. Olcan, are the interviewers. We're sitting behind a long table at the front of the room. Facing us are two empty chairs in the middle of the open space. Even though guards literally line the walls, I'm not ready for when they actually come in.

Gold to the left. Red to the right. Two guys who look like they're in their early twenties waltz in.

"What business do you have here?" Aiden asks before they even get to sit down.

The Dawn ambassador's golden eyes take in the walls, the ceilings, the floors. He rubs his chin, humming to himself. Meanwhile, the Bloodmoon ambassador strolls up to one of the chairs we set out for them. He plops down and scoots his butt left and right as if to test the comfort level.

"This is nice," the Dawn one says.

The Bloodmoon nods, resting back in the chair. "Yeah. Could use a color change, though."

"State your business." Aiden's no longer asking.

They glance up at us as if realizing we're there for the first time. "Hm?" The Dawn asks. "Oh, yeah. The invitation you sent." He plops down into the chair beside his companion.

We wait.

They don't say anything else.

Aiden glances at Carson. Carson glances at Axel.

Axel sits up, eyeing them. "Was it accepted or declined?"

"Try pending," the Bloodmoon says. "Our alphas didn't know what to make of it, when it was sent by two betas."

"What was the issue?" Carson asks.

"We've already said it," the Dawn says. "Two."

Before any of the brothers can get another word in, the Bloodmoon pulls out a worn-out paper from his pocket. He clears his throat dramatically before reading. "It is common knowledge that the Silvermoon Pack possesses three betas to match its three alphas. It is our belief that all decisions must be unanimous, therefore..." He looks directly at us now. "Where was the third beta?"

"It doesn't take three people to send a message," Aiden says.

The Dawn werewolf shrugs. "It certainly doesn't take two either." His eyes land on me, chuckling. "Seems like it only takes one to get the job done around here."

Their eyes flash. Embarrassed isn't the word.

Carson shoots forward, eyes narrowed. "So which one of you is the expendable one?"

"Oh, ho, ho," the Bloodmoon cocks his head back. He looks at the Dawn werewolf beside him with both eyebrows raised. "I think that was a threat."

"I think you're right." Dawn nods.

Axel places his hands calmly on the desk before us, looking at them firmly but calmly. "We meant nothing by sending two messengers. I'm sure it was the same for you, as my brother has pointed out."

"Except we're two people because we represent two different alphas," the Bloodmoon says.

Silence. At this point, I don't know if we made a mistake or if they just would've used anything at this point to attack us.