Chapter 31 (pt 1) - Work for It

"Get away from me before you make me drop her," Michael swats Carson's hands away.

"Just let me help you." Carson tries to rip me from his arms.

Axel and I both yell, "Stop it."

Carson and Michael look between the two of us for just a second.

Axel holds his hands out. "'... Let me do it."

I deadpan. Michael flips the bird at him before carrying me further and further down the hall. Axel stands there, mouth open. Carson pats his back a few times before following us. I'm not surprised in the least by Michael's behavior.

I look around for some kind of help. I know I won't get it from either one of the previously mentioned brothers, and I won't get it from Aiden who's trailing behind the whole scene, staring us like we've all lost our minds. Students stare at us from classrooms, piled up against the doors by the dozens, but no one dares to get in the way.

I look over Michael's shoulder and see Onai expertly slipping away in the other direction. The traitor. "Onai," I scream. "Get back here and help me."

He looks back at me like I just asked the unthinkable. He shakes his head. I nod quickly, narrowing my eyes at him. He better come here now. We've been through too much for him to play this "I don't know you" game.

"What do you need his help for?" Carson asks suspiciously like we didn't just have an hour long conversation about me not liking him.

I shake my head. I'm not going to entertain this anymore.

Carson gives me a dirty look. "What's that silence supposed to mean? I hope you know three's the limit around here for you Mia."

Michael tries to kick him away. "What's wrong with you? You're like an annoying bug that won't go away."

"Excuse me?" Carson cocks his head back, standing squarely. "That's alpha to you."

"THaT's aLPhA tO yOu," Michael mocks.

Carson nearly bites his head off. "If you weren't Mia's brother I'd—"

"You'd what?" I snap my head in his direction.

Carson's entire face pales. He stares blankly into my furious eyes, stammering, "I'd... nothing, of course." He scratches the back of his head. "I wasn't gonna say anything."

Michael starts laughing his ass of. I think he might drop me for a second. He looks too damn smug. "You better be whipped."

Michael really doesn't know when to shut up.

Carson gets right up in his face, and it's all his fault. They start yelling at each other, and somehow Axel gets involved but it doesn't help. I just flail around trying to get away, but Michael's doesn't let go.

I try to get Onai's attention again—assuming he's still there.

He is. He's watching all of us warrily from a distance. Before it was just a suggestion, but now I plead desperately for him to help me with my eyes. Please. He's my only hope. "At least get Brittany to come back. Or Krys. Or..." I notice the other figure behind him. "Ethel," I say happily. "You could—" I look at Ethel standing a good distance away, even further than Onai, and that's saying something.

His eyes fly open, staring at me. I don't think he's even breathing anymore.

"Um, never mind, Ethel." I wave him off. The poor thing. I don't have the heart to ask him to get involved. "It's okay."

"Are you sure?" he asks. "I could... I could try to..."

I shake my head. "It's fine, really."

He puts his hand over his heart and braces himself against the lockers. "Phew," he wipes the sweat accumulating on his forehead and looks at Onai. "I don't think I'm cut out for this job, man. My momma was right. I should've been a fitness instructor," he wheeze out.