Chapter 50 - Refugees and Rogues

A/N (6/13/18) - And I was doing so good with keeping the chapters short xD Enjoy! (I'll keep the word count down on the next update, don't worry. Some things just had to happen here lol)

---

Aiden guides the car keys into my hand. "Don't lose this."

I nod.

Stay behind me."

I say something back, but I doubt he hears it. There are werewolves everywhere. Everywhere. It takes everything in me not to cling to him from behind, remembering that day in the woods when I almost got abducted. Even though these wolves are on our side, it doesn't do anything to calm my nerves.

Aiden's mind is somewhere else. Body tense, jaw tight. He scans the area over and over again, especially behind me. He's not taking any chances. For once, I'm glad. I need him to be like this right now. To make me feel safe.

These refugees look like they've been through things. They stare ahead at us like we're not even there. Like nothing's there to them. I'm afraid to make eye contact, not because I'm afraid to see them, but because I'm afraid they'll see me. They don't all look bad, but the ones that do make my heart stop. Limping. Bruised. Dirty. Emaciated.

Kids. I can't believe my eyes.

There are kids here, too, obviously. I knew that, but still. It's too hard to swallow. It's hard to see them through the gaps between Aiden and the other guards, but they're there. Their tiny hands holding onto pants legs. Crying for Mommy or Daddy or sister or brother or anyone. Anyone. So many are just standing alone.

My first thought is, 'Can we take the orphans at least?' But I already know the answer. The answer is no. We don't have anywhere to put them. We can't encourage parents to disown their children to give them a better life. We have to look out for ourselves, because these people are dangerous, and these kids might not be as innocent as they seem. I already know Aiden's answer without him having to say it. It's the same answer I have myself, now, unfortunately. Now that I've seen all of this.

"Took you long enough," Coach Kenet says to Aiden and me when we make it to the front of the crowd. She's got a look in her eyes that's so unlike her—the intimidating woman that chuckles every now and again during our "intensive" breathing exercises, when she can't even take herself seriously. Now, she just looks cold.

Just like Bri and Krys, who turn to greet me quickly. Carson doesn't though. He won't break eye contact with the crowd, shoulders squared. Eyes narrowed. Part of me wonders if this is how the former luna passed? Is that why everyone's so on edge? Is that why he can't even move right now?

Did it happen on a day like this? During a conflict like this? Were Coach Kenet—the former beta—and the brothers' father—the former alpha—just a second too late? A reach too far? ...Did the brothers watch?

"Is that the luna?" someone screams from the refugee side. They don't do it in a hostile way. It's clear they just want to be heard, but I take a step back.

I don't answer. The brothers don't either.

There's a line of trucks parked across the highway, acting as a barrier between us and them. On our side, seven wolves are poised to attack. I know it would only take one word on Carson or Aiden's part, or maybe even just a random shout, for them to jump, looking for anything to sink their teeth into.

Do I have that power too? In this moment? In this place? If I scream, could it end somebody's life? I hold my breath. Suddenly it feels like I'm staring down the barrel of a gun. My finger on a trigger. My hands shaking. I don't want to be here anymore, or ever again.