Chapter 25 - Cheaters

"So you're saying that Juliet told you that Suzie approved the change in formation?" Mr. Olcan asks the formation dude.

Juliet? Juliet being the redheaded friend of Suzie? The girl who tortured me in the daycare? The one who supposedly was dating Axel? That girl's the one who tried to end my life?

The guy nods. "I assumed that was the truth. It wasn't the first time she'd changed the formation either under the excuse that Suzie told her to, but still." He looks at me. "I apologize for not following the proper protocol, Luna, especially since it put your life in danger."

I don't know if he's being sincere, but I'm just ready to go. Especially when they bring in Juliet herself and she's kicking and screaming that she's not guilty.

"We all know you're guilty, so shut up!" Suzie yells at her. "Just tell me why you tried to drag me down with you? I thought we were friends."

"I was your friend you dumb bitch," Juliet yells back. "Until you decided to sell me out."

"Sell you out?" Suzie double takes.

"Yeah. I'm innocent, and you're not defending me at all." Juliet glares. "Mr. Reynolds gave me that plan and told me to hand it over in your name. He's the one who did it, not me."

Everyone in the room gasps. Except me. I don't know who Mr. Reynolds is.

"Do you have any proof of your allegations?" Mr. Olcan asks.

Suzie shakes her head. "Only my word, but I think my word is strong enough."

"And why's that?" Mr. Olcan asks.

Suzie looks at me. "I was the person who first pulled her to safety in gym when she was leaning on a dangerous railing. If I really wanted her dead, and didn't care about being caught, I would've pushed her over then, or any time since. I've had too many opportunities to kill this girl."

She definitely has a point. The rest of the room seems to agree, so they decide to bring whoever this Mr. Reynolds is into the room. When a group of guards leads him in, I gasp.

It's the old man from the nursing home.

I look at Onai. He stares at the man in front of us. I can't believe it. It only gets worse when he openly admits what he did. He tried to help other packs get to me.

"Why?" Aiden asks. Straight to the point like always.

The old man rubs his neck, as if stretching the aching muscle out. It's probably from the rough handling of the guards or just his stress. I'm not sure. Maybe he's just tired. "Having been an advisor myself once upon a time, if anyone would care to remember that." He glares at the counsel. "I've seen my fair share of bad decisions. Bad lunas, bad alphas, and worst of all..."

He looks at me. "Bad choices of lunas making good alphas into bad ones. No offense, but your species wasn't meant to merge with ours. Humans are just too... fragile," he says gently. "Your life span is too short. Your capabilities too limited. And your offspring, when you're mated with the alpha of your choice, will most likely bear no imprint bond. Why? Because it is impure in the eyes of Lady Luna. And if that's the case, it'll forever curse the bloodline to never have another divinely chosen luna. I asked myself if it was worth it, and my answer then was no."

"Why didn't you just try to kill her yourself, then?" Carson asks. "It would've saved you a lot of trouble. And us, because we caught you anyway."

The old man doesn't hesitate to answer. "To just kill her would've been a waste in my eyes. Her greatest use would've been to become—"