Chapter 55 - The Girl from the Border

9:20 AM

"She could've killed me at the Farmer's Market."

9:15 AM

Aiden stops in the center, floorboards creaking. "I would've never expected this from you."

9:10 AM

His body jerks forward before I can stop him. "Carson—"

9:05 AM

She jabs him for the insurrection of having invaded her personal space.

9:00 AM

Shen doesn't know where to put her hands. She moves Fei to her hip, scooting closer to the edge of her seat. I don't know if she wants to run away from Ethel or to him. He's in a similar state.

He steps closer, then pauses. Then walks faster, then slows down. "I'm." His fists clench. He's long since dropped the red bag he was holding.

"You're...?" she asks, hesitantly.

"Ethel."

She fidgets with her hands.

He messes with his, looking everywhere but her. He doesn't seem to know how to handle the silence. The stillness. The shift in her shoulders or movement of her eyes. "I'm..." she says.

"You're...?" he asks.

Maybe she's forgotten her name, or doesn't realize she's staring at him like he... put the stars in the sky. Or at least is the next best thing since sliced bread.

She hesitates, then reaches for him with her free hand. It's a tentative gesture. Completely unsure. Almost regretful the second it's done, but she still reaches for him. She doesn't have to wait at all. He's already at her side, touching her hand gently like he's afraid she'll disappear, slip through his fingers if he's not careful.

Maybe he doesn't even think this is real.

My eyes connect with Axel's. His eyes connect with mine, and I understand.

"Hi." Shen tightens her grip on Ethel. "I'm Sh—"

The moment's ruined. Destroyed. Crumbled up and torn into a million pieces.

It's not Dr. Janice's fault, even though she's holding her heart in horror. It's not Onai's dad's fault, even though he walks back in to see why "more people" are here. And it's not any of our fault, even though Onai mutters his disbelief, Axel mentions how unexpected that was, and I make a startled, choking noise—because who couldn't fangirl to this.

Oh no. The moment's ruined by none other than Fei. She kicks Ethel. Jabs him with her tiny little foot for the insurrection of having invaded her personal space.

A bubble bursts. The rose-colored glasses fall off. Reality creeps in, and Ethel's face falls. 'Whose is that?' his eyes scream.

Shen notices. Oh god, she notices, and she turns her whole body away from him, holding Fei protectively. I've heard of lions killing young from past mates. I don't know if that's how werewolves work, but that's how Shen's looking at him.

He puts his hands up in defense, but the damage is done.

"Please get away from me," Shen says.

"It's yours?" He gawks before quickly trying to fix it. "I mean, if that's your kid, it's..." He pauses. "Well, is it your kid?"

"Just leave me alone."

"I'm just asking because I can't smell you," he says. "You're Dawn."

Axel and Onai exchange wary looks. Even the adults seem worried.