Chapter 64 - Who Dies

Mia's POV

Dad blocks the front door, arms crossed. "You know, you guys actually have to live in your own house sometimes."

"Gladly." Michael finishes tying his shoes and grabs his bookbag off the steps. "Just as soon as this project is over."

"Oh yeah. This project." Dad shoots Mom a look.

She sighs. "Hugh."

"They're lying to us." He flails his arms. "And we're enabling them."

"It's only been three days. You're acting like they're delinquents."

If he hears a word she says, he doesn't show any sign of it. He marches up to Michael. "Look. I know that..."

Michael groans.

"Listen to me." Dad raises his voice right before dropping it to infinitesimal levels. "I know you may not be interested in women, but doesn't Suzie's parents think it's a little weird for a guy to constantly be staying over their house? Even if Mia's there?"

"So, you want me to stay over a guy's house?" Michael asks.

Dad goes from 100 to infinity. "No."

"Alright then." Michael walks around him. "I'm going to go make sure I graduate, then."

"Michael. Jones," Dad yells after him, reaching his hand out dramatically.

Michael shoots a sympathetic look over his shoulder. "The fate of the world is resting on our shoulders, father. You'll understand one day." He dramatically throws the door open.

Dad keeps saying 'no' louder and louder as Michael slow-mos out of the door.

Mom looks beyond done. "Would you two just stop? Honestly."

"Yeah, honestly." Megan puts her hands on her hips.

Mom turns to me. "Tell Suzie I said hi."

"You mean tell the brothers hi. That's where she's going," Dad marches up to her side.

She rolls her eyes and pulls me into a quick hug. "I'm sure that's not true."

I nod against her shoulder.

"Because Mia knows I'd kill her," Mom says.

I freeze against her shoulder before grabbing my own bag and heading to the door.

Dad narrows his eyes at me like he doesn't even know me. "If you walk out that door, Mia Jones, you're grounded for the rest of your life."

I mouth, 'Sorry,' before pulling on my shoes.

He holds onto Mom, weighing her down as she moves upstairs. "It's happening! We've lost control of the house. They're taking over." He scans behind him, eyeing us like we're foreign invaders in his home. "We're outnumbered. Soon, Megan will be acting the same way."

Megan throws him a dirty look. "Leave me out of this, Hugh."

Dad's jaw drops, and I close the front door gently behind me.

###

Axel's POV

Aiden, Krys, Michael, and Carson are gathered around the kitchen table.

"If they don't come back, we need to be ready to send out troops," Carson says.

Krys shakes her head and points forcefully to a sheet of paper lying on the surface of the table. "That would give them the wrong idea."