Mia x Axel - Coffee Shop AU

Description: In which Mia falls in love with a guy who works at a coffee shop OR is Axel flirting or just being friendly (like he is with all the girls dammit!)?

A/N (6/27/18) - This chapter is a one shot. It exists in a different universe than the main story "Three Alphas, Three Mates," and although the characters' personalities may remain the same, their interactions with each other could be completely different. Couples that exist in the book may not be the same here, but don't worry. It's just a fanfic. I hope you enjoy! :D

---

There's a bell on the door that adds to the feel of the coffee shop. It's a hole in the wall. An in-and-out establishment if that's what you need it to be. That's what I thought of it at first.

If you just need your fix of coffee, you can go to the register without noticing the warm beige and brown colors that coat the walls. You can ignore the cozy tables and aged books in the corner. You can miss the couch perfect for curling up on after a bad day.

The first time I walk in, I'm seventeen. I'm running from the rain after what could be called the worst day of my life—assuming every day that I'm cranky and hormonal is the worst day of my life. I missed the bus. But more importantly, I miss Michael because if he hadn't gone and graduated on me, I wouldn't be missing the bus in the first place. Public transportation is a luxury I could've gone another year without.

So there I am, missing everything as I shake my useless umbrella outside the door. I leave it by the entrance, or should I say, exit. It's funny how the bronzed wood serves as both. It's funny how the tiles lead me straight to the counter. I figure, if I'm going to be stuck in the cold, I might as well be warm.

I look up to pick a cup of coffee. I see anything but coffee.

I'm seventeen the first time I see him. He's talking to his coworker. He's tall with dark hair and eyes that are anything but. They're playful almost. So light and reflective that they almost hurt you when you look at them.

He leans against the counter. His coworker says something to him, earning an uncalled for level of attractive laughter to grace his lips. When did he decide that it was okay for him to lean against the counter like that, without any regard for how his toned, strong arms look against the marble, barely contained in a pair of long sleeves? The uniform apron he's wearing does nothing to hide what's underneath. He's a college boy, that's for sure.

When his eyes land on me, he straightens up, pressing his hands against the marble.

A smirk tugs at his lips, and my high school heart isn't ready for it. For the way a college boy's voice can make you feel. "Hey." He smiles.

I feel like I just drowned myself in whiskey. I feel like I'm burning. I feel drunk. Remain calm, Mia. You're just getting some coffee. You remember how to talk, don't you? "Hey..." I push my soaking wet hair out of my face.

"Can I get a name?" His eyes flash to me.

My heart stops. "Huh?" I almost fall over the counter.

He looks amused. "For the order."

I consider running back into the downpour. "Oh... Yeah." My ears burn. "Of course. It's Mia."

"Mina." He writes quickly.

I raise my hand. "Er..."

"Yeah?" He lifts an eyebrow.

"It's just... It's..." I look for words, but I can't find them.

A grin splits across his face. He tries to stop it, but he chuckles anyway.

"What?" I narrow my eyes. Is he making fun of me?