Chapter 36 - Elephants

"What do you mean you won't wear this mask?" Krys gasps, flailing the coconut hydration in front of Aiden's narrowed eyes.

He swivels around to face us in his desk chair, looking way too professional for his own good. He's already intimidating on his own, but now, casually leaning back in a computer chair, at a business-y desk, arms bare of his usual grey hoodie... it's too much. He looks like he's ready to swindle someone out of their car, insurance, and property and put them in debt for three generations without even blinking. "Krys, I don't know what gave you the impression that I would allow you to put that on my face," he says flatly. "But I'm in the middle of important work."

"You're just putting up a front cause Mia's here." She teases.

He scoffs, his amber eyes lazilly looking towards me. "Okay. I'm putting up a front because Mia's here." The words fall out of his mouth like he doesn't even recognize the sounds he's making. He doesn't believe it for a second, or at least, he doesn't show it. He turns back towards his desk and rolls out his shoulders. The skin tight, white fabric he's wearing moves with him. "Entertain yourselves elsewhere."

Krys doesn't waste a second reaching over him and snatching what's on his desk. "Let's see what's so important." She waves the stack of papers just out of his reach.

He doesn't make any move to stop her from flipping through them.

Her face falls. "You're really doing paperwork?"

"Recall what I previously said, and you'll have your answer." He takes the papers back from her. "Be gone. Both of you."

She waves him off. "Do your worst. We're not going anywhere." She plops herself down in one of the seats. There are seven desks in total. Some are junkier than others. Some have pictures, others don't. I don't take the time to sift through them all. I just take a seat beside Krys.

"No." She whines. "Sit there, Mia." She points to the desk between Aiden and her.

"Why?" I ask. "He wants his space. Let him have it."

But when she gives me a death glare, I do as told.

"Geez. I have more work cut out for me than I thought." She shakes her head. "Alright, so I'll tie my hair back." She leaves a hair tie on her wrist. "You'll tie Aiden's hair back."

Wait, what?

She hands me a grey hair tie. "And then he'll tie your hair back." She goes to hand him a purple hair tie, but he doesn't take it.

She glares at him. "You better take this hair tie."

He just keeps scribbling a few notes on a sheet of paper.

"Aiden," she growls.

I sigh. "Come here, Krys. We can tie each other's hair." I take her pink hair tie and stand behind her chair.

She stares at him for a while, then shakes her head. "Okay, do what you want then. That's the last bone I throw you, Aiden," she spits out. "I hope you know that. From now on, you're on your own."

"Krys," I say impatiently. What is she going on about?

She huffs and sits down. Before she can say anything else, I ask her, "How do you want it tied?"

"Any way is fine. Just away from my face." Now she's sulking.

These two are impossible. I pull her thick, curly hair back and away from her face. A bun seems like it'll be the easiest thing to do, so it's what I manage. Then we switch roles. She ties the first few rows of my twists back into a half ponytail, and we're ready to apply the face masks—after we wash our hands again.